Union Cabinet reconstituted Empowered Committee on setting up of Semiconductor Wafer FAB projects
The Union Cabinet on 28 January 2015 reconstituted the Empowered Committee on setting up of Semiconductor Wafer Fabrication (FAB) manufacturing facilities in the country.
The Union Cabinet on 28 January 2015 reconstituted the Empowered Committee on setting up of Semiconductor Wafer Fabrication (FAB) manufacturing facilities in the country. The reconstituted committee will be headed by NITI Aayog member V K Saraswat.
The members of the Committee include:
• K. Radhakrishnan, former Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation
• M.J. Zarabi, former Chairman of Semiconductor Complex Limited
• Narendra Krishna Karmarkar, Visiting Professor of IIT-Bombay
• Ratan P. Watal, Secretary of Department of Expenditure,
• Amitabh Kant, Secretary of Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
• R.S. Sharma, Secretary of Department of Electronics and Information technology
The setting up of FAB units will promote Electronics System Design and manufacturing in India which will stimulate the flow of capital and technology.
Besides, these units will also create employment opportunities, help higher value addition in the electronic products manufactured, reduce dependence on imports and lead to innovation.
Earlier on 20 April 2011, the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government constituted an Empowered Committee headed by the then adviser to Prime Minister to identify technology and investors and recommend incentives for semiconductor manufacturing.
The committee submitted its recommendations in March 2013. In September 2013, the Union Government approved the setting up of two such units including:
• Jaiprakash Associates Ltd teamed up with International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) and Israel-based TowerJazz to set up a 29000 crore rupees unit in Greater Noida.
• Hindustan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp. in partnership with STMicroelectronics (STM) Limited and Silterra Limited decided to set up 34000 crore rupees facility in Prantij near Gandhinagar.