Union Government formed B S Baswan committee to revisit civil services examination pattern
The committee will submit a report on a range of issues related to the examination-eligibility criteria, number of attempts, revision of syllabus, usage of technology, etc.
Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions in the fourth week of September revealed that an expert committee was constituted to revisit the civil services examination pattern.
The seven member committee was constituted on 12 August 2015 and is headed by B S Baswan. Also, the committee was mandated to submit report within six months from the date of its constitution.
Terms of reference of the expert committee
• To evaluate the effectiveness of the existing scheme of the civil services examination in selecting suitable candidates keeping in view various factors such as inclusiveness, fair mix of candidates from different disciplines, etc.
• To examine the plan of the examination and suggest suitable changes to all the three stages of the examination viz., preliminary, mains and interview.
• To examine the time frame in which the examination is conducted and suggest suitable changes to reduce the time taken for selection of candidates by utilizing information and communication technologies, etc.
• To suggest timeframe for implementation of the revised pattern of examination
• To suggest suitable eligibility criteria for candidates appearing at the examination with special reference to minimum and maximum age limits, number of attempts; to review the eligibility criteria for candidates, who have already been selected to different services, and who desire to reappear for selection to some other services;
• To suggest a mechanism for designing and periodically updating the syllabus for each of the papers in the two states
• To review the logistical requirements and constrainsts of conducting the examination in view of the increasing number of candidates at the preliminary level
Members of the committee
B S Baswan (Chaiman)
B N Nawalawala
Dr Hari Pratap Gautam
Dr Anil Sahasrabudhe
Prof Peter Ronal deSouza
M P Tangirala (Member-Secretary, UPSC)
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App