Union Government on 28 July 2016 announced the formation of District Development Coordination and Monitoring Committee (DDCMC) that will be known as ‘Disha’. First meeting of Disha will be held on 13 August 2016.
Disha was created for effective development and coordination of Central Government's programme, whether it is for infrastructure development or Social and human resource development.
It will monitor the implementation of 28 schemes and programmes of Ministry of Rural Development and other Ministries to promote synergy and convergence for greater impact.
The terms of references of the committee includes
• To ensure that all programmes are implemented in accordance with the Guidelines.
• It will look into complaints/alleged irregularities received in respect of the implementation of the programmes. It will have the authority to summon and inspect any record for this purpose.
• The Committee may refer any matter for enquiry to the District Collector/CEO of the Zilla Panchayat/Project Director of DRDA (or Poverty Alleviation Unit). It can also suggest suitable action to be taken in accordance with the rules which should be acted upon by him within 30 days.
• It will closely review the flow of funds including the funds allocated, funds released by both Centre and the State, utilization and unspent balances under each Scheme.
The main purpose of the committee is to coordinate with Central and State and local Panchayat Governments. Efforts will be made to ensure the participation of people’s representative at all levels and successful implementation of flagship programme of central government.
The meetings of the committee should be held once in every Quarter (third Saturdays of April, July, October and February) and this has been made mandatory.
DDCMC will supersede the District Vigilance & Monitoring Committee currently mandated by Ministry of Rural Development.
Formation of District Development Coordination and Monitoring Committee (DDCMC)
• Chairperson: He/she will be the senior most Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) elected from the district, nominated by the Ministry of Rural Development.
• Co-Chairperson will include
a) Members of Parliament (Lok Sabha) representing the district
b) One MP (Rajya Sabha) representing the State and exercising option to be associated with the district level Committee of that district (on first come basis)
• Other members of the committee will include
a) Members of the State Legislative Assembly elected from the district
b) All Mayors/the Chairpersons of Municipalities
c) Chairperson of the Zilla Panchayat
d) Five elected heads of Gram Panchayat including two women
e) One representative each of SC, ST
f) Women to be nominated by the Chairperson
The Member Secretary of Disha should be the District Collector/District Magistrate/Deputy Commissioner except in cases where specific exemption has been given by the Union Government.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 28 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.