Union Government launched integrated women safety mobile app called Himmat
Union Government launched integrated women safety mobile app called Himmat.
Union Government on 1 January 2015 launched integrated women safety mobile app called Himmat. The app was launched by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in Delhi.
Himmat is a mobile application of Delhi Police that will allow women to send a distress call to Police Control Room and their relatives in case of any emergency.
About Himmat App
• The app can be downloaded free of cost from the Delhi Police website - www.delhipolice.nic.in and also from the Google Play Store.
• The app is available on Android platform of smart phones and who put up in Delhi.
• A new user has to register with the Delhi Police website by sharing their name, mobile number and that of a minimum of two relatives or friends after the downloading the App.
• Once the User registers, the user will get a SMS on mobile number given at the time of registration with a download link and registration key. User has to enter this key in the registration window in the application, which is a one-time process.
• In case of an emergency, the user can send an alert by shaking her phone or by pressing the power button/soft button.
• Once the distress button is pressed, the app will start a 30-second audio and video recording on the phone which will be relayed to the Police Control Room (PCR) and the victim will get a call back from the PCR.
• An SMS alert will also be sent to minimum of five friends and relatives of the user and a status will be posted on his Facebook and Twitter timeline which will be connected to the App.
• All the details of the victim, including location and time will be transmitted simultaneously by the Police Control Room to the Police Patrol cars in the area and the local Station House Officer (SHO) through the Delhi Police Cyber Highway.
• It also has a help section that helps users how to use each section of the app and also has Safety Tips section, and First aid tips for women to help them in times of crisis.
• The app is to be used only when there is a threat to Life and Limb. Any false alerts will lead to cancellation of the registration after 3 such (False SOS alerts) incidents.
Besides, an advertisement was unveiled educating street vendors to report any kind of harassment by police officials on 1064 and 9910641064 on which a complaint in the form of an audio video clip can also be sent.