Nitin Gadkari, Minister of Road Transport and Highways and Shipping, and Ravi Shankar Prasad, Minister of Electronics and Information Technology and Law and Justice, on 7 September 2016 jointly launched Integration of DigiLocker with Driving Licenses (DL) & Vehicle Registration Certificates (RC) in New Delhi.
The new service will end the need of people carrying around physical copies of their RCs and DLs. They can instead access digital copies of the same on their mobile phones via the DigiLocker mobile app.
Key highlights of DigiLocker with DLs and RCs
• Driving Licenses and Vehicle Registration documents can now be issued directly to the DigiLockers of individuals in digital formats.
• These digital copies can be shared with other departments as identity and address proof.
• They will also be used for on the spot verification through the citizen’s mobile, by various law enforcement authorities like the Traffic Police.
• Besides being convenient for people, this will also result in assured authenticity of such documents and reduction of administrative overhead.
• DigiLocker was launched by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in July 2015.
• It aims at transforming India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy.
• It is a platform for issuance and verification of documents and certificates digitally.
• DigiLocker currently has 2126332 registered users with 2411702 uploaded documents and has issued over 42673232 documents as on 1 September 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: New Delhi
When: 7 September 2016