Union Minister of State for Power and Renewable Energy RK Singh on 16 November 2017 launched the Web Portal for Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana ‘Saubhagya’. The portal can be accessed at http://saubhagya.gov.in.
The Saubhagya Web portal will ensure transparency and will accelerate household electrification in rural as well as urban areas in the country.
Highlights of Saubhagya Web portal
• Through Saubhagya Web portal, every State can fill in the current status of progress of electrification works which will enable accountability for the State utility/ DISCOM.
• It offers a feature on village electrification camps and in line with that, DISCOMs will organize camps in villages for facilitating instant filling up of application forms and to complete requisite documentation to expedite release of electricity connections to households.
• States may announce the schedules of the village camps to be held on this portal to create awareness among the people about the one-stop facility for getting electricity connections.
• DISCOMs/ State Power Department will be required to adopt the innovative mechanism for collection of data in electronic form including collection of application form for obtaining electricity connections.
• Saubhagya scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 September 2017 with an outlay of Rs 16320 Crores including Budgetary Support of Rs 12320 Crores.
• Under Saubhagya scheme, all willing households in rural areas and poor families in urban areas are given free electricity connections.
• There are around 4 Crore un-electrified households in the country and they are targeted for providing electricity connections by December 2018.
• Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) is the Nodal Agency for the operationalization of the scheme throughout the country.