Union Environment Ministry on 18 March 2016 notified new Plastic Waste Management Rules to curb over 6000 tonnes of uncollected plastic waste generated daily by industries.
It made the rules related to usage and production of plastic to be more stringent as it tries to bring in more eco friendly society.
Rules related to plastic waste management to give thrust on plastic waste minimization, source segregation,recycling, involving waste pickers, recyclers and waste processors in collection of plastic waste were also reviewed and revised.
Key aspects of the new rules
• Rural areas have been included and Gram Panchayats were given responsibility and the concept of extended producer responsibility (EPR) is introduced.
• Responsibility of waste generators is being introduced.
• It also banned plastic carry bags thinner than 50 microns and the producers are asked to keep record of vendors to whom they supply raw material for manufacturing carry bags, plastic sheets and multilayered packaging to curb manufacturing of the products in the unorganized sector
• The rules also have the provision to fine retailers and street vendors who provide their products in plastic packaging which do not conform to the new rules.
• Individual and bulk (waste) generators like offices, commercial establishments, industries are to segregate the plastic waste at source and should handover the segregate waste and pay user fee as per bye-laws of the local bodies,
• Persons organising public events like marriages, public gatherings are responsible for the management of waste generated during these events. Minimum thickness of the plastic bags increased from 40-50microns.
• Introduction of collect back system of plastic waste by the producers/brand owners as per extended producers’ responsibility, Plastic bags will be available only with shopkeepers pre-registered with local bodies.
• Manufacturing and use of non-recyclable multi-layered plastic to be phased out in two years.
The Plastic Waste Management (PWM) Rules 2016 are issued by the Union environment ministry will replace the Plastic Waste (Management and Handling) Rules 2011. Under the new EPR concept, producers are responsible for collecting waste generated from their products.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 18 March 2016