Union Government on 5 November 2014 re-constituted the Prime Minister’s Council on Climate Change. This council will be chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and it will monitor formulation of action plans in area of assessment, adaptation and mitigation of climate change.
The council will have 18 members including Ministers of External Affairs, Finance, Water Resources and Agriculture. Union Environment, Forests and Climate Change Ministry will assist Prime Minister's Office (PMO) in facilitating the work of the council.
Focus of the Council
The re-constituted council’s focus will on evolving a coordinated response to issues related to climate change at national level. It will periodically monitor key policy decisions on the issue.
Some members of the previous council have been retained while others have been changed. The composition of the re-constituted Prime Minister's Council on Climate Change is as follows:
• Prime Minister
• Minister for External Affairs
• Union Finance Minister
• Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change
• Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
• Union Minister for Agriculture
• Union Minister for Urban Development
• Union Minister for Science and Technology
• Union MoS (Power, Coal and NRE)
• Cabinet Secretary
• Foreign Secretary
• Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change
• Dr. R. K. Pachauri, Chairperson, TERI (Retained)
• Dr. Nitin Desai (Retained)
• Chandrasekar Dasgupta (Retained)
• Ajay Mathur, Chairperson, BEE
• J.M. Mouskar
• Principal Secretary to PM
The previous and first council was formed in 2007 and was chaired by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and it included government representatives and non-government members. But this council had not met for over three years.
When: 5 November 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla