The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, on 16 August 2017 released the 4th advance estimates of production of major crops for 2016-17.
The assessment of production of different crops is based on the feedback received from States and validated with information available from other sources.
Key highlights of the 4th Advance Estimates
• The total food grain production in the country is estimated at 275.68 million tonnes, which is higher by 10.64 million tonnes (4.01%) than the previous record production of food grain achieved during 2013-14.
• The current year’s production is also higher by 18.67 million tonnes than the previous five years’ (2011-12 to 2015-16) average production of food grains.
• Total production of rice is estimated at record 110.15 million tonnes, which is a new record. This year’s rice production is higher by 3.50 million tonnes (3.28%) than previous record production of 106.65 million tonnes achieved during 2013-14. Production of rice increased significantly by 5.74 million tonnes (5.50%) than the production of 104.41 million tonnes during 2015-16.
• Total production of wheat is estimated at 98.38 million tonnes, which is also a record. This year’s wheat production is higher by 2.64% than the previous record production of 95.85 million tonnes achieved during 2013-14. The current year’s production is higher by 6.10 million tonnes (6.61%) as compared to wheat production of 92.29 million tonnes achieved during 2015-16.
• Total production of coarse cereals is estimated at a new record level of 44.19 million tonnes, which is higher than the average production by 2.85 million tonnes (6.88%).
• As a result of significant increase in the area coverage and productivity of all major pulses, total production of pulses during 2016-17 is estimated at 22.95 million tonnes, which is higher by 3.70 million tonnes (19.22%) than the previous record production of 19.25 million tonnes achieved during 2013-14.
• With an increase of 6.85 million tonnes (27.11%) over the previous year, total oilseeds production in the country is estimated at 32.10 million tonnes.
• Total production of sugarcane is estimated at 306.72 million tonnes, which is lower by 41.73 million tonnes (-11.98%) than the last year’s production of 348.45 million tonnes.
• Higher productivity of cotton resulted into higher production of 33.09 million bales (of 170 kg each), i.e. an increase of 10.29%, as compared to 30.01 million bales during 2015-16.
• Total production of jute and mesta is estimated at 10.60 million bales (of 180 kg each) is marginally higher (0.73%) than their production of 10.52 million bales during the last year.
Who: Union Government
When: 16 August 2017
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider