Union Government to launch helpline number 14444 to promote digital payments
The helpline number also provides awareness about various digital payment methods including Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD), MircoATM, and Banks prepaid cards, etc.
The Union Government on 11 December 2016 announced that a helpline number will be launched to promote digital payments.
The number of the toll-free helpline will be 14444. It is officially called as Cash Mukt Bharat Abhiyan Helpline Number.
Features of the helpline 14444
• Its primary purpose is to educate people about various modes through which they can switch over to cashless transactions.
• The project will be executed by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT).
• The National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom) will assist the DoT in rolling out the helpline.
This helpline number is in addition to other two initiatives viz., DigiShala and CashlessIndia launched by the government in early December 2016.
• It is a satellite television channel managed by the government-owned Doordarshan.
• The free-to-air channel is aimed at nurturing awareness among people about the necessity of cashless financial transactions.
• The target audience of this television is rural and suburban population among whom the financial literacy is very low.
• The website was launched as part of the Digital India campaign of the Union Government.
• Its vision is to transform India into a digitally empowered knowledge-based economy.
• It provides content on various digital payment methods such as mobile banking, point of sale (POS), unified payment interface, internet banking, mobile wallets, etc.
• Other activities of the website include - raising awareness about cyber security related measures in relation to digital payments and digital payments among citizens.
• Apart from the National Informatics Centre (NIC), the RBI, National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Computer Emergency Response Team India (CERT-IN) are the active partners in its development.