Union Home Ministry on 19 December 2014 issued guidelines to step up security in Schools. The guidelines were issued across the country in the wake of attack on an Army-run school in Peshawar.
The guidelines spell out steps to be taken in case of random firing, armed intrusion, hostage crisis or bomb attacks.
Highlights of the guidelines are
- Each school should have concrete boundary wall, with 3 to 4 gates and each gate should be manned by at least 3 guards, on a 24- hour basis.
- There should be proper illumination along the perimeter so that nobody can jump over the wall into the school in the night for any nefarious activity.
- Details of telephone number of the Police Control Room and local police station should be maintained and updated regularly by the school authorities.
- A telephone connection should be provided at the main gate of the School so that the guards can inform the Police in case of any emergency without waiting for informing the nodal officer or the Principal.
- Concertina wire may be fixed on the iron grills above the boundary wall to deter any one from jumping over the wall.
- Installation of CCTV systems all along the boundary as well as some additiona locations inside the premises.
- The system should also have requisite video analytics to detect any intrusion and raise an audio as well as visual alarm.
- CCTV system alarm may also be connected to the identified gates to close them automatically.
- Walkie Talkie sets for communication between security guards and nodal security officer be arranged.
- There should be centralized Public Announcement System between Nodal Officer and all classes/ library etc. by which instructions can be given to the students/ staff in each room, collectively or individually or in selected combination, may be installed.
- A visual anti-sabotage check of the entire school should be carried out by the security staff of the school before the children start arriving in the morning.
- They should also check the footpath in front of the school, all along the boundary wall including the parking area to detect any suspicious objects lying unattended there.