Union Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers on 25 February 2015 declared the year 2015 as the Year of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API). It was declared by the Union Minister of Chemicals & Fertilizers Ananth Kumar.
The aim is to bring about self-sufficiency in the field of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) which is also consistent with the avowed objective of the Union Government Make in India initiative.
In this regard, the Department of Pharmaceuticals will
• take measures to facilitate the growth of the sector;
• interact with the industry on a more regular basis to improve G2B interactions;
• promote better and more coordinated efforts to achieve the objective of Make in India for the API sector
Apart from this, the Ministry also accepted the recommendations of the Katoch Committee. The Katoch Committee was set up by the Union Government to suggest ways to reduce the dependence on bulk drug imports from China and to look into various issues concerning the bulk drugs.
Recommendations of Katoch Committee
• Single window clearance for licensing of drugs in the country
• Providing land at concessional rates
• Setting up of mega pharma parks
• Providing power
• Removing cross subsidy charges
The recommendations will be implemented after taking the Union Cabinet’s approval.
India is very much dependent on import from a single source for basic chemicals, intermediates and APIs for many commonly used medicines. This is detrimental to the country’s interest as it gives rise to sudden price and supply risks.
Thus, to avoid the price and supply risks and ensure assured and sustained availability of these basic inputs to formulation sector, the Ministry of Pharmaceuticals aims to focus the attention to promote the manufacturing of API in India.
When: 25 February 2015