The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports on 27 May 2015 gave its nod for recognising certain sports federations representing indigenous sports disciplines as Regional Sports Federations (RSFs).
The decision is aimed at promoting sports having only regional spread.
The recognition will be granted by the competent authority subject to the following conditions:
• The sports disciplines must be popular in a region or a state and played in one or more states.
• The sports should have been played in the region for at least last 10 years.
• The sports federations seeking RSF status should have conducted championships in all the categories namely Senior, Junior and Sub-Junior.
• In case there is an international body for a sport discipline, the recognition of the said body would be necessary.
In case there are several bodies in the international level for the same sports, and if, more than one sports federation applies for recognition, the ministry shall take a decision in the matter and the reasons for that will be recorded in writing.
• One of the conditions for recognition as National Sports Federations (NSFs) that is the federation should have affiliated units in two thirds of States/Union Territories (UTs) will not be applicable for grant of recognition as RSFs.
• There shall be only one RSF for each sport.
• Federations of only indigenous sports will be considered for recognition as RSFs and for remaining sports disciplines, the present guidelines for grant of recognition to NSFs will continue.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 27 May 2015