UP Cabinet approved Senior Citizen Policy
The policy will come into effect from 1 April 2016 and the social welfare department has been made the nodal agency for this new policy.
Uttar Pradesh Government on 14 March 2016 approved a policy for senior citizens. Under the policy the state government will set up old age homes and also announced increase in monthly pension by 100 rupees, that is, monthly pension will increase from existing 300 rupees to 400 rupees.
The decision was taken during a cabinet meet chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav. The policy will come into effect from 1 April 2016 and the social welfare department has been made the nodal agency for this new policy.
Highlights of the Policy
• The policy was formulated under which old age homes and juvenile homes would be set up under one roof.
• The Government would provide land free of cost and the NGO would be asked to operate the same at no profit no loss basis.
• The new policy reserves 25 percent seats in these old age homes for the BPL families who will be provided free residence and food.
• A tribunal would be set to hear the cases related to the atrocities against the senior citizen.
• All the police stations would also have a separate senior citizen register.
• Any offence against senior citizen, like throwing them out of their houses by children, would be punishable for up to three years of jail and 10000 rupees fine.
• The schools and colleges would be asked to celebrate Dada-dadi and nana-nani diwas on regular basis.
Some other decisions taken at the meet
• Free dialysis at district hospitals will be created: The scheme will be operated with the help of private players under PPP model. Under this scheme 180 dialysis machines would be set up in select district hospitals.
• Detailed Project Report (DPR) of Kanpur metro to the tune of 17000 crore rupees was approved. The DPR is prepared by RITES. The total length of the Kanpur metro would be 32 km divided in two corridors. It will have 31 stations – 19 of which will be elevated. Now the proposal would be sent to the Union Government for approval.
• The implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana under which houses will be made available to all by 2022 was approved. Under the scheme, Union Government would finance 60 percent of the project while the rest would be shared by the state government.
• Decision to construct Taj Orientation Centre and Shilpgram at the eastern gate of Taj Mahal was made. DPR of 23185.25 lakh rupees was approved.
• It approved demolition of the structure of UP Animal Husbandry Department at CG City to facilitate construction of cancer institute.
• It also approved the Mobile (Trolley-based) Solar Panel and Pump Programme.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App