Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) announced on 14 May 2016 that noted space scientist Udupi Ramachandra Rao, popularly known as U. R. Rao, will be honoured with the International Astronautical Federation (IAF) Hall of Fame Award for 2016.
Rao will be honoured in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the progress of astronautics within the framework of the IAF's activities.
The scientist will be presented with the certificate at the 67th International Astronautical Congress, which will be held in Guadalajara in Mexico on 30 September 2016.
Who is Udupi Ramachandra Rao?
• U. R. Rao is the former chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation.
• At present, he is the Chairman of the Governing Council of the Physical Research Laboratory at Ahmedabad.
• He is also the chancellor of Indian Institute for Space Science and Technology (IIST) at Thiruvananthapuram.
• He was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India in 1976.
• He was inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame, Washington on 19 March 19 2013 at a ceremony organised by the Society of Satellite Professionals International. With this, he became the first Indian to be inducted.
About International Astronautical Federation
• The International Astronautical Federation is an international space advocacy organisation based in Paris.
• It was founded in 1951 as a non-governmental organization to establish a dialogue between scientists around the world.
• It has over 300 members from 66 countries across the world.
• It is linked with the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) and the International Institute of Space Law (IISL) with whom the IAF organises the annual International Astronautical Congress.
• The IAF Hall of Fame consists of a permanent gallery of honoured personalities, a citation, biographical information and a picture on the IAF website.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: UR Rao
When: Announced on 14 May 2016