US President Barack Obama on 18 September 2014 nominated Indian-American Richard Rahul Verma as the next US Ambassador to India. The US Embassy in New Delhi is currently headed by a Charge d'affaires Kathleen Stephens.
If confirmed by the US Senate, Richard Rahul Verma will be the first Indian-American to serve the top US diplomatic position in India.
Richard Rahul Verma
• Richard Rahul Verma was born in 1969. His parents hail from the state of Punjab in India and moved from north India to USA in 1960s.
• He graduated from Georgetown University, Lehigh University and American University.
• Richard Rahul Verma served on active duty in the US Air Force from 1994 to 1998 and received the Meritorious Service Medal and Air Force Commendation Medal.
• He was Senior National Security Advisor, Counsel and Foreign Policy Advisor to the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid from 2002 to 2007.
• He was partner at a private company Steptoe and Johnson LLP from 2007 to 2009.
• He served on the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction, Proliferation and Terrorism in 2008.
• From 2009 to 2011, Verma served as the Assistant Secretary of State for Legislative Affairs at the Department of State.
• Presently, he is the Senior Counsellor at Steptoe & Johnson LLP and Albright Stonebridge Group. Moreover, he serves on the boards of Human Rights First, the Clinton Foundation, and the National Democratic Institute.
When: 18 September 2014