US Republican Party won the control of the Senate in the US mid-term elections 2014
The Republican Party of United States on 5 November 2014 won the control of the Senate in the US mid-term elections 2014 after defeating the Democrats.
The Republican Party of United States on 5 November 2014 won the control of the Senate in the US mid-term elections 2014 after defeating the Democrats. The party now controls 52 seats.
The party captured the majority of seats in Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Montana, North Carolina, South Dakota and West Virginia. Republicans got the victory against incumbent Democrats in Arkansas and Colorado and snatched the seats of retiring opponents in Montana, South Dakota and West Virginia.
Republican leader Mitch McConnell was re-elected in Kentucky for a sixth time against Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes, fulfilling his ambition of becoming Senate majority leader.
When the new Congress will take power in January 2014, Republicans will take charge of both chambers of Congress for the first time since elections in 2006.
Highlights of the US mid-term elections 2014
• The mid-term elections were seen as a referendum on the policies of President Barack Obama and the victory of the Republicans will complicate the final two years of President Barack Obama in office.
• There were 36 elections on the ballot and several incumbents struggled against challengers. Tom Wolf captured the Pennsylvania statehouse for the Democrats defeating Republican governor Tom Corbett. Democratic governor Pat Quinn lost in Illinois.
• College professor Dave Brat was elected to the House from Virginia several months after he defeated Majority Leader Eric Cantor in a Republican party.
• Republicans defeated 19-term Democrat Nick Rahall in West Virginia, John Barrow in Georgia and picked up a seat vacated by a lawmaker in North Carolina.
• Democrat Senator Jeanne Shaheen was re-elected in New Hampshire after a difficult race against former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown.
• In Georgia, Democrat Michelle Nunn lost to businessman David Perdue. In Kansas, Senator Pat Roberts won the seat against the Democrat Greg Orman.
• State Senator Jodi Ernst of Iowa also won the seat. In statehouse races, Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York won a second term.
• Former Republican Representative Asa Hutchinson was elected governor of Arkansas and Florida Governor Rick Scott won for a new term.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS