The United States Senate on 27 June 2013 passed a landmark comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill to provide a pathway to citizenship to some 11 million illegal immigrants in the country. There are over 240000 illegal Indian migrants in the US.
The immigration reform received a bipartisan support in the US Senate; the bill received 88 votes in favour and 32 votes in against. The supporters included 52 members from the Democratic Party, 14 Republican members of the senate and two independent members. For further approval, the Bill has been sent to House of Representatives and after being approved in the house it will be sent to US President, Barack Obama to be signed into a law.
Provisions of the new Legislation
• Steps to prevent illegal migration in future and checking the legal status of Job applicants living in US
• It offers 13 year path to citizenship to 11 million illegal migrants living in the country
• Completion of 1226 kilometer fencing and deployment of high-tech devices along the US-Mexico border and to guard it will require 20000 new Border Patrol Agents
• Expansion of number of Visa available to highly skilled workers relying upon the technology industry
• Temporary program for farm workers and low-skilled persons