BJP-led National Democratic Alliance Vice-Presidential candidate M Venkaiah Naidu won the Vice Presidential election on 6 August 2017. With this election, Naidu will serve India as the 13th Vice President (in person) of the country and 15th overall.
With this victory, Naidu will succeed Mohammad Hamid Ansari whose term will come to an end on 10 August 2017. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and Hamid Ansari have twice served the country as its Vice President.
Venkaiah Naidu, 68, won the Vice Presidential election by defeating the opposition candidate and former West Bengal Governor and Mahatma Gandhi's grandson Gopalkrishna Gandhi. In the election, Naidu received 516 votes; while Gandhi got 244 votes.
A total of 771 out of 785 parliamentarians voted in the election.
After his sworn-in, Naidu will also be the third vice-President of India from Andhra Pradesh. The other two Vice Presidents from Andhra Pradesh were Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and VV Giri, both of whom later became President.
Let’s know about the Vice President-elect
• Naidu was elected as the member of Rajya Sabha thrice from Karnataka and once from Rajasthan.
• He served his party, BJP, as a national president from July 2002 to October 2004. He resigned from his post after the party faced a defeat in the 2004 Lok Sabha elections.
• Under NDA government led by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, he served as the Rural Development Minister. He was also instrumental in launching the 'Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana' as the rural development minister.
• In PM Narendra Modi’s government, he held the portfolios of Parliamentary Affairs, Information and Broadcasting and Urban Development. As the urban development minister, he launched several missions to transform the urban space of India like Smart City mission, Swachh Bharat Mission and Housing for All.
• He started his political career as a student in 1973 and later joined the Jan Sangh, now, Bharatiya Janata Party. He was elected twice to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly.
Who: Venkaiah Naidu
When: 6 August 2017
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider