V Dakshinamoorthy, the veteran Music Director died on 2 August 2013 at his residence in Mylapore, Chennai. He was 94. The veteran was known as Swamy in the music industry and gave music to songs of more than 125 films in Tamil, Malayalam and Hindi. He served the industry for a period of over six decades during this period; more than 50 singers of three generations sang tunes set by him.
His songs are known for the classical touch. He was a person, who nurtured both the Carnatic as well as Malayalam music. He has to his credit about 859 songs that were composed by him over seven decades of his service to the world of Music. Few of the films in which he composed music include Navalokam, Seetha, Viyarppinte Vila, Sri Guruvayoorappan, Kadamattathachan and Indulekha.
About Venkateswaran Dakshinamoorthy
• He debuted as a Music composer in the a Malayalam movie Nalla Thanka (Nalla Thankal in Tamil) in 1950
• He was born in Alappuzha district of Kerala on 22 December 1919
• He was the guru to singers and music directors like P. Leela, P. Susheela (he introduced her in Malayalam films in 1960 in film Seetha), Kalyani Menon and Ilayaraja
• He was the proud recipient of Kerala State Film Award for best music director in 1971
• In 1998, he received the Kerala State Film Award for Lifetime Achievement