Manimala Devi, veteran Odia actress, passed away on 16 June 2016 following a prolonged illness at Bhubaneswar, Odisha. She was 86.
Manimala ruled the Odia film industry in the 1960s as lead actress with her influential performances in various films.
About Manimala Devi
• Born on 19 June 1931 at Balibishi village of Kendrapara district, Manimala joined Annapurna Theatre at the tender age of eight.
• She began her career as a child artiste in Annapurna Group B and went on to perform in at least 100 plays.
• She acted in 28 Odia films of which 14 bagged the National Film Awards including her debut film Sri Loknath in 1960.
• As a leading actress, she featured in films like Laxmi, Bhai Bhauja, Kaa, Malajanha, Abhinetri and Suryamukhi, which also bagged a number of awards.
• She also acted in Nirad Mohapatra’s Maya Miriga which bagged the Rashtrapati Award as the second best film in 1983.
• She was also selected as an accredited singer for Akashvani Kendra.
• She was conferred with the prestigious Jayadev Purashkar, the state’s highest cine award, in the year 2000.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.