Vice-President of India visited Tajikistan, Agreed on Strengthening Strategic Partnership
Agreement on strengthening the ties in different sectors between India and Tajikistan was reached during Vice-President’s Tajikistan visit.
The Vice-President of India, Hamid Ansari was on an official visit to Tajikistan from 14 April to 18 April 2013 and was accompanied by a high-level delegation that included Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing Industries and four Members of Parliament.
During this visit of the Vice-President, the two nations discussed on several issues and agreed on working together towards strengthening the ties between the two countries, like, human resource development, academic exchange and promote joint research and project work between both the Tajik Technical University and IIT, Delhi and more.
Some of the important issues on which discussions were made and agreed upon
• Regional Security Issues: Exchange of views on maintenance of regional peace and security by strengthening cooperation with each other. Discussions on strengthening Afghanistan’s capacity towards maintenance of peace and prosperity were also made. As well as cooperation on security issues as well as in countering cross-border terrorism were also discussed.
• Strengthen the Strategic Partnership: Leaders of both the nations agreed to focus on the welfare of the people of both the nations, with a common approach.
• Strategic Partnership in strengthening the relations in energy sector, health, IT, education as well as establishing the small and micro industries in the country
• Increasing Trade: The leaders of both the nation identified the areas, in which trade can be further extended. They also identified the issue of fine-tuned connectivity between the two countries as the barrier.
• Trans-Afghan Corridor: Leader’s of both the countries agreed on opening the trans-Afghan corridor for to facilitate easy access of trade to and from the land-locked country. This proposed route will come via Afghanistan and Pakistan
• Agreement was also reached over strengthening relations in mining, information technology enabled services and medical sectors.
Hamid Ansari, is the first Vice-President of Indian Union to visit Tajikistan. Before this visit of Hamid Ansari to Tajikistan, President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon visited India in 2012 and during the same visit the bilateral relationship between the two countries was elevated to the strategic partnership level.