Vinod Mehta awarded with Yash Bharti Samman 2015 by UP Government
The Yash Bharti Samman is conferred by the Uttar Pradesh Government for excellence in literature, fine arts, folk and classical music and sports.
Distinguished journalist Vinod Mehta was on 9 February 2015 awarded with the Yash Bharti Samman 2015 by Uttar Pradesh (UP) Government.
Vinod Mehta has launched a number of successful publications such as the Sunday Observer, Indian Post, The Independent, The Pioneer (Delhi edition) and Outlook. He has authored a biography of Meena Kumari (movie actress and poet) and Sanjay Gandhi- The Sanjay Story (2012).
His other acclaimed work includes memoir Lucknow Boy published in 2012, Mr Editor, How Close Are You to the PM? (1999) and Bombay: A Private View (1971). Currently, he is editorial chairman of the Outlook Group.
In all, 56 people were bestowed with the award. The other recipients of Yash Bharti Samman are
• Actors: Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Jimmy Shergill
• Singers: Rahat Ali Khan Sabri, Kailash Kher, Rajan-Sajan Mishra, Shubha Mudgal, Anup Jalota, Urdu poet Bekal Utsahi, lyricist Sameer, music director Ravindra Jain
• Sports: Wrestler Alka Tomar, weight lifter Poonam Yadav
The other recipients of the award are Jagadguru Swami Bhadracharya, Yogendra Singh Yadav (Paramvir Chakra receipient) and Bekal Utsahi.
About Yash Bharti Samman
• Yash Bharti Samman was instituted by Mulayam Singh Yadav Government in 1994.
• The award is conferred by the Uttar Pradesh Government for excellence in literature, fine arts, folk and classical music and sports.
• The award carries cash prize of 11 lakh rupees, a citation and a shawl.
• The award was discontinued by the Bahujan Samaj Party Government from 2007-2013, but later it was revived after a gap of six years.