Viral V Acharya appointed as Deputy Governor of RBI
Prior to this appointment, Acharya was serving as the CV Starr Professor of Economics at the New York University Stern School of Business.
Viral V Acharya was on 28 December 2016 appointed as the Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). He is a professor of economics at New York University.
He will be joining the ranks of Vishwanathan, S S Mundra, R Gandhi as one of four Deputy Governors of RBI. He will be serving under RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
About Viral V Acharya
• Hailing from an academic background, he has been serving as CV Starr Professor of Economics at the New York University Stern School of Business since 2008.
• Acharya’s research interests lie in the regulation of banks and financial institutions, credit risk and valuation of corporate debt, and asset pricing with a main focus on the effects of liquidity risk.
• Acharya has significant experience in global finance specifically in theoretical risk assessment of the financial sector.
• In 2015, Acharya co-authored a research paper that analysed the precarious condition of public sector banks in India.
• He has previously served on the International Advisory Board of Securities and Exchange Board of India.
• His papers have been published in renowned finance journals.
• He was the recipient of numerous awards including the Rising Star in Finance Award.