Viral V Acharya was on 28 December 2016 appointed as the Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). He is a professor of economics at New York University.
He will be joining the ranks of Vishwanathan, S S Mundra, R Gandhi as one of four Deputy Governors of RBI. He will be serving under RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
About Viral V Acharya
• Hailing from an academic background, he has been serving as CV Starr Professor of Economics at the New York University Stern School of Business since 2008.
• Acharya’s research interests lie in the regulation of banks and financial institutions, credit risk and valuation of corporate debt, and asset pricing with a main focus on the effects of liquidity risk.
• Acharya has significant experience in global finance specifically in theoretical risk assessment of the financial sector.
• In 2015, Acharya co-authored a research paper that analysed the precarious condition of public sector banks in India.
• He has previously served on the International Advisory Board of Securities and Exchange Board of India.
• His papers have been published in renowned finance journals.
• He was the recipient of numerous awards including the Rising Star in Finance Award.