Waqar Younis, the former captain of Pakistan cricket team was inducted into the ICC Cricket’s Hall of Fame on 11 December 2013 before the start of the first Twenty20 International match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium in Dubai Sports City.
Waqar received his commemorative cap from International Cricket Council (ICC) Chief Executive David Richardson. With this induction Waqar Younis became the Seventieth male member and fifth Pakistani to be inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. The other Pakistani’s, who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame of ICC, are Hanif Mohammad, Imran Khan, Javed Miandad and Wasim Akram.
About Waqar Yonis in Cricket
• Being one of the best fast bowlers in the world, Waqar have got 373 wickets from 87 tests and 416 scalps from 262 One-Day Internationals.
• Waqar Yonis had the best strike rate of any bowler with more than 200 wickets in Tests during his playing days – a record, which was beaten recently only by Dale Steyn.
• He is the only bowler, who took five wickets in an innings in three consecutive ODIs (happened in November 1990)
• He was also the fastest to the milestone of 400 wickets in ODIs.
• He was a member of the Pakistan team that reached the quarter-final of the ICC Cricket World Cup 1996 and the final of the ICC Cricket World Cup 1999
• He captained Pakistan in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2003
• In 2003 he retired from cricket
Former Australia wicketkeeper Gilchrist will be inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame during the Perth Test on 13 December 2013, while the other inductees of 2013-14 season will be announced by the ICC.
Indian’s inducted in the ICC Cricket’s Hall of Fame are Bishan Singh Bedi, Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar. All these three years were inducted in 2009.
Previous inductees in ICC Cricket’s Hall of Fame
• Belinda Clark, Frederick Spofforth, Curtly Ambrose, Alan Davidson.
• Enid Bakewell, Brian Lara, Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne
• Waqar Younis, Adam Gilchrist and two more to be announced later this year
Where: Dubai Sports City
When: 11 December 2013