Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census 2014 released
The Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census 2014 was released on 17 September 2014. The census looked at the global billionaire population
The Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census 2014 was released on 17 September 2014. The census looked at the global billionaire population from July 2013 to June 2014.
The Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census 2014 is the only comprehensive global study on the composition and dynamics of the top-tier of the global ultra high net worth (UHNW) population.
It examined the top-tier wealth segment by geographical location, gender, sources of wealth and personal traits.
Findings of the Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census 2014
- 155 new billionaires joined the billionaires group in 2014 pushing the global billionaire population to 2325 which is a 7 percent rise from 2013.
- The combined wealth of all the billionaires increased by 12 percent to 7.3 trillion US dollars. This is higher than the combined market capitalisation of all the companies that make up the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
- Europe with 775 billionaires is the region with the most billionaires earning wealth of 2.37 trillion US dollars. In 2013, North America was the region with the most billionaire wealth.
- Asia shows the largest billionaire wealth increase with the billionaires wealth growing by 18.7 percent over 2013. Billionaire population in Asia grew by 10 percent in 2014 with 52 new entrants into the billionaire club, out of which 33 are from China.
- The United States maintained its position as the world's top billionaire country with a population of 571 billionaires in 2014.
- China was listed on the second position with 190 billionaires in 2014 and the United Kingdom is the third topmost billionaire country with 130 billionaires in 2014.
- Latin America and the Caribbean region saw the most significant growth in terms of the size of its billionaire population that grew to 37.8 percent in 2014.
- The billionaire population in the Middle East region shrank by 1.9 percent. However, total billionaire wealth in the region increased by 16.7 percent.
- The billionaire population of Africa decreased by 4.8 percent but its billionaire wealth increased by 12.9 percent.
- Pacific region witnessed no change in the billionaire population but the its total billionaire wealth dropped by 2 percent.
- Around 35 percent of the billionaires are concentrated in 20 cities. Moreover, only 5 percent of all the billionaires are worth more than 10 billion US dollars.
- The average wealth of billionaire rose by 4.4 percent in 2014 and the average age of the typical billionaire came out to be 63 which is one year older than it was in 2013.
- There are 2039 male billionaires accounting for 87.7 percent of the world's total billionaire wealth of 7.3 trillion US dollars in 2014. Besides, there are 286 female billionaires accounting for a 12.3 percent share of global billionaire wealth in 2014.
- Wealth-X and UBS Billionaire Census 2014 on India
- As per the census, India retained its sixth position in terms of 100 number of billionaires possessing wealth of 175 billion US dollars in networth. Moreover, India has more number of billionaires than Switzerland, Hong Kong and France.
- However, the number of billionaires decreased over last year as there were 103 billionaires in 2013.
- The financial capital Mumbai comprises of 28 billionaires. Mumbai is among the top 20 billionaire cities globally. New York topped the list of 20 billionaire cities which is home to 103 billionaires.
Headquartered in Singapore, Wealth-X has 13 offices across five continents.
Wealth-X is the authoritative source of intelligence on the ultra wealthy people with the largest collection of research on ultra high net worth (UHNW) individuals. UHNW individuals are those who possess assets of 30 million US dollars and above.
The Wealth-X Professional solution is the standard for banking, luxury marketing and not-for-profit professionals working with the ultra prosperous people.
Headquartered in Zurich and Basel, UBS is a global firm providing financial services to private, corporate and institutional clients. UBS is present in all major financial centers and has offices in over 50 countries. UBS celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2012.
UBS is the largest and strongest universal bank in Switzerland. Switzerland is the only country where UBS operates in retail, corporate and institutional banking, wealth and asset management as well as investment banking.