2 January to 8 January 2017: Jagranjosh.com brings for its reader quizzes of the week that covers important happenings of the week. The section revises selected quizzes from the week to help its readers in revising the most important happenings. The topics covered this week include topics like appointment of 27th Army Chief of India among others, 9th Secretary General of the UN and 104th Indian Science Congress among others.
1. India’s first transgender school ‘Sahaj International’ recently started in which of the following states?
a) Uttar Pradesh
c) Andhra Pradesh
2. Who of the following was recently appointed as the 27th Army Chief of India?
a) Lieutenant General Bipin Rawat
b) Lieutenant General Praveen Bakshi
c) Lieutenant General PM Hariz
d) General Dalbir Singh Suhag
3. Russia in recent past delivered four Sukhoi Su-35 fighter jets to a country after a delay of two years. Name the country to which the delivery was made.
4. The United Nations has designated a particular theme for the year 2017. What is the theme?
a) International Year of Pulses
b) International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development
c) International Year of Light and Light-based Technologies
d) International Year of Soils
5. Who of the following recently took over as the ninth Secretary-General of the United Nations?
a) Antonio Guterres
b) Ban Ki-moon
c) Luis Ayala
d) George Papandreou
6. Which country has become the first one to provide a basic monthly income to its unemployed citizens?
7. The Supreme Court ruled that no politician can seek vote in the name of caste, creed or religion. Consider the following statements in context of the verdict.
I. The verdict was delivered by the five-bench Constitution bench of the court.
II. The bench was headed by Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar.
III. It held that election is a secular exercise and its way and process should be followed.
Which is/are correct?
a) Only III
b) Only I and II
c) Only I and III
d) I, II and III
8. PM Narendra Modi inaugurated 104th Indian Science Congress in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. What is the theme for the event?
a) Dawn of science in modern India
b) Unity of life
c) The Classical Determinism and the Quantum Theory
d) Science and Technology for National Development
9. India recently test-fired long range intercontinental nuclear capable ballistic missile named Agni-IV. It is missile of which category?
d) Ballistic missile
10. Name the social reformer who was honoured by Google Doodle recently on her 186th birth anniversary.
a) Aruna Roy
b) Medha Patkar
c) Manasi Pradhan
d) Savitribai Phule
11. Which city is playing host to the Digi-Dhan Mela?
12. Consider the following statements regarding Maternity Benefit Programme.
I. Rs 6000 provided as cash incentive to pregnant and lactating women to meet nutrition needs
II. It is being implemented in Andhra Pradesh and Punjab only
Which of these statements are true?
a) Only I
b) Only II
c) Both (a) and (b)
d) None of them
13. Who authored the book The People's President: Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam?
a) SM Khan
b) Sunita Narain
c) Ramachandra Guha
d) RD Burmania
14. World Braille Day was observed on
a) 2 January 2017
b) 3 January 2017
c) 4 January 2017
d) 5 January 2017
15. India defeated which of the following countries to win the 2016 SAFF Women's Championship title?
ANSWERS WITH EXPLANATION
1. (d) Kerala
India’s first transgender school “Sahaj International” has started at Thrikkakara in Kerala’s Ernakulam district. It was inaugurated by Kalki Subramaniam, who is renowned transgender activist, writer and actor. The purpose of the school is to provide transgenders security, salvation and sustainability.
2. (a) Lieutenant General Bipin Rawat
Lieutenant General Bipin Rawat on 31 December 2016 took charge as the new Chief of the Army Staff. He took over the position from General Dalbir Singh Suhag. Before being appointed as the Army Chief, Lieutenant General Rawat served as the Vice Chief of Army Staff. He superseded two senior most Lieutenant Generals - Praveen Bakshi and PM Hariz - as the 27th Army Chief of India.
3. (c) China
Russia finally delivered four Sukhoi Su-35 fighter jets to China after a delay of two years. Moscow had feared that its fifth generation jet will lose value after Chinese military unveiled its J-20 stealth fighter.
4. (b) International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development
The United Nations has designated the year 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development. The announcement was made during the International body’s 70th General Assembly.
5. (a) Antonio Guterres
Portugal’s former Prime Minister Antonio Guterres on 1 January 2017 took over as the ninth Secretary-General of the United Nations. He took over for a five-year term that can be renewed by member states for an additional five years. He succeeds Ban Ki-moon.
6. (b) Finland
Finland has become the first country in the world to pay a basic monthly income to its unemployed citizens. The move is an effort on the part of the country’s government to reduce poverty and boost employment.
7. (a) Only III
By a 4-3 majority ruling, a seven-judge Constitution bench of the court held that the candidate will be disqualified if he/she was found violating the order. The bench was headed by Chief Justice TS Thakur.
8. (d) Science and Technology for National Development
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3 January 2017 inaugurated 104th Indian Science Congress (ISC) at Tarakarama Stadium of Sri Venkateswara University in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. The Congress will conclude on 7 January 2017. ‘Science and Technology for National Development’ is the focal theme of the Indian Science Congress.
9. (a) Surface-to-surface
The test flight of this intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) was aimed at revalidating new technologies incorporated in the system and also for checking the readiness of armed forces to launch the missile on its own.
10. (d) Savitribai Phule
She was the first woman teacher of the first women’s school in India and a pioneer in modern Marathi poetry. Savitribai taught in the school which was started by her itself along with her husband Jyotirao Phule in 1848.
11. (c) Mumbai
The Maharashtra state government organised a day-long mela on 3 January 2017 at Mumbai in the Fort Campus of Mumbai University. The main aim of the mela is to provide assistance and train people to use online platforms to conduct transactions.
12. (a) Only I
The Maternity Benefit Programme was launched as per the provisions of Section 4(b) of National Food Security Act, 2013. It was extended to all the districts of India on 1 January 2017.
13. (a) SM Khan
The book The People's President: Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam is a comprehensive compendium of Dr Kalam’s experiences as the President of India between 2002 and 2007.
14. (c) 4 January 2017
The World Braille Day helps people to feel the importance to produce works in the Braille language in order to allow blinds to read the works.
15. (b) Bangladesh
India on 4 January 2017 defeated Bangladesh 3-1 to win the 2016 SAFF Women's Championship at the Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri, West Bengal. With this, India fetched the 4th consecutive SAFF Women's Championship title.