26 December to 1 January 2017: Jagranjosh.com brings for its reader quizzes of the week that covers important happenings of the week. The section revises selected quizzes from the week to help its readers in revising the most important happenings. The topics covered this week include topics like a Syrian city that celebrated Christmas after five year, malaria control programme named DAMAN and Captain of the Cricket Australia’s ODI Team of Year among others.
1. Christians recently celebrated Christmas for the first time in five years in which of the following Syrian cities?
2. Which of the following states will soon be launching a malaria control programme named DAMAN?
a) Andhra Pradesh
d) Madhya Pradesh
3. Name the institution/organisation that launched India’s first Performance on Health Outcomes’ index.
a) World Bank
d) NITI Aayog
4. India successfully test fired its home-grown long range intercontinental surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-5. What is the striking range of Agn5?
a) 1000 kilometer
b) 2500 kilometer
c) 3500 kilometer
d) 5000 kilometer
5. Which of the following states will host the National Games in 2022?
b) West Bengal
c) Madhya Pradesh
6. Who was chosen as the Captain of the Cricket Australia’s ODI Team of Year?
a) David Warner
b) Steve Smith
c) Virat Kohli
d) Mitchell Marsh
7. A study involving 1200 bird species was conducted by researchers from the University of Bath in the UK. Which of the following sentence is the correct result of the study?
a) Birds with larger brains are more likely to survive harsh climatic conditions
b) Birds with smaller brains are more likely to survive harsh climatic conditions
c) Birds with a bigger body are more likely to survive harsh climatic conditions
d) Birds with a smaller body are more likely to survive harsh climatic conditions
8. He was appointed as the Deputy Governor of RBI recently
a) Satya Narayan
b) Sunderlal Patwa
c) Nagraj Varma
d) Viral Acharya
9. Who headed the Committee to Review the Framework Related to Digital Payments?
a) Ratan P Watal
b) Vijay Kelkar
c) D Subba Rao
d) Y V Reddy
10. Name the inter-linking rivers project that received clearance from the National Board of Wildlife in the recent past.
a) Godavari-Krishna project link
b) Cauvery-Vaigai-Gundar link
c) Mahanadi-Godavari Link
d) Ken-Betwa link
11. Nedumkayam, which became India’s first cashless and digital tribal colony, is located in which state?
b) Tamil Nadu
12. Who was chosen for 2016 Bihari Puraskar?
a) Hemant Shesh
b) Om Thanvi
c) Satya Narayan
d) Bhagwati Lal Vyas
13. Who was appointed as the first ever female director of Vatican Museums?
a) Nusli Wadia
b) Barbara Jatta
c) Girija Vaidyanathan
d) Deepika Agarwal
14. Who of the following bowlers occupied 1st place in the ICC Rankings for Test Bowlers?
a) Ravindra Jadeja
b) Ravichandran Ashwin
c) Rangana Herath
d) Dale Steyn
15. World’s longest bullet train was recently operationalised in which of the following countries?
b) South Korea
d) None of the above
1. (d) Aleppo
Explanation: Christians in Aleppo on 25 December 2016 celebrated Christmas for the first time ever in 5 years. The Christian population in the city celebrated the holy festival under a giant Christmas tree. Many people described the Christmas celebrations as the return of peace in the city that came back under full government control in the third week of December 2016.
2. (c) Odisha
Explanation: The Odisha Government recently decided to launch a new malaria control programme, DAMAN, in remote tribal-dominated areas. DAMAN stands for Durgama Anchalare Malaria Nirakaran (Malaria Control in Inaccessible Areas).
3. (d) NITI Aayog
Explanation: National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog, the think tank of Union Government, launched a Performance on Health Outcomes’ index to rank states on the basis of their performance on measurable health indicators.
4. (a) 5000 kilometer
Explanation: India successfully test fired its home-grown long range intercontinental surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-5. The missile was test-fired from the Abdul Kalam Wheeler Island off Odisha coast at 11:05 am on 26 December 2016. It is capable of striking a target more than 5000 kilometers.
5. (d) Meghalaya
Explanation: Meghalaya will host the 2022 National Games, which will coincide with the state’s 50 years of statehood. The state had pledged 5 crore rupees as the bid amount for the game. With this, Meghalaya will become the third north-eastern state after Manipur and Assam to host the National Games.
6. (c) Virat Kohli
Explanation: India’s Test captain Virat Kohli on 27 December 2016 was named Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the year. He was earlier also picked as the Captain of the ICC’s ODI team of the year.
7.(a) Birds with larger brains are more likely to survive harsh climatic conditions
Explanation: The study involving over 1200 species of birds revealed that birds with evolved brains are more capable of surviving in harsh environments where they have to hunt for food, shelter and at times even protect themselves from predators.
8. (d) Viral Acharya
Explanation: He will be joining the ranks of Vishwanathan, S S Mundra, R Gandhi as one of four Deputy Governors of RBI. He will be serving under RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
9. (a) Ratan P Watal
Explanation: Ratan P Watal committee reviewed the existing framework related to digital payments and suggested 13 key measures to promote cashless transactions.
10. (d) Ken-Betwa link
Explanation: The National Board for Wildlife (NBWL) gave its clearance to the Ken-Betwa Inter-Linking of Rivers (ILR) project. The project will benefit two states, namely Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, and help them in meeting the needs of drinking water, irrigation and electricity in six districts.
11. (a) Kerala
Explanation: Nedumkayam colony in Malapuram District of Kerala became India’s first cashless and digital tribal colony. The people of this colony, in spite of threats from the Maoists, are all set for digital transactions.
12.(c) Satya Narayan
Explanation: Satya Narayan, the well-known Rajasthani litterateur, was chosen for the 26th edition of Bihari Puraskar for 2016 for his Hindi book titled 'Yeh Ek Dunia'.
13. (b) Barbara Jatta
Explanation: Jatta was appointed as the first female director of Vatican Museums by Pope Francis. She is currently working as the Deputy Director of the museums.
14. (b) Ravichandran Ashwin
Explanation: Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja on 21 December 2016 made it a rare instance of two Indian bowlers topping the ICC Test rankings. Jadeja’s maiden 10-wicket match haul against England in the Test match on 20 December 2016 in Chennai made him achieve the second position in the rankings. His performance earned him 66 points and brought him within eight points of Ashwin, who is grabbing the first position in the rankings.
15. (c) China
Explanation: China in the last week of December 2016 commenced operations of Shanghai-Kunming line, one of the world's longest high-speed railways. The link joins the prosperous eastern coast to the less-developed southwestern part of the country. The launch of the Shanghai-Kunming line signifies that China’s high-speed rail grid has taken shape and connects almost all provinces on the Chinese mainland.