06 February to 12 February 2017: The Weekly Current Affairs Quizzes brought by Jagranjosh.com covers the most important happenings of the week. The weekly updates will help you in revising the most important events of the particular week with an ease for the next competitive exams that will be faced by you. This week's updated quizzes cover the topics like Payments of Wages bill, new CEO of National Stock Exchange and Kuwait visa ban among others.
1. Which country has suspended the issuance of visas to travellers from Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria and Afghanistan?
b) The United States of America
2. Name the states that bagged the Winners of Excellence eGov awards 2017 recently?
a) Rajasthan and Telangana
b) Kerala and Tamil Nadu
c) Maharashtra and Punjab
d) Bihar and Jharkhand
3. As per the Economic Survey, the trade deficit declined to this many USD between April 2016 and December 2017.
a) USD 56.5 billion
b) USD 66.5 billion
c) USD 76.5 billion
d) USD 86.5 billion
4. The book titled ‘Veerappan, Chasing the Brigand’ was written by
a) Rajiv Mehrishi
b) K Vijay Kumar
c) Ajit Doval
d) K Padmanabhaiah
5. Which of the following has become the first State in the country to establish a cashless system for distribution of food grains?
a) Andhra Pradesh
6. Identify the first North-East state to implement the e-Cabinet solution for the state cabinet members?
d) Arunachal Pradesh
7. The appointment of former PM Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo as President promises a new beginning for which poor civil war stricken country?
8. Scientists of this country developed a terahertz transmitter that is capable of transmitting data 10 times faster than 5G.
c) The USA
9. The Lok Sabha recently passed the Payment of Wages (Amendment) Bill, 2017. In this regard, consider the following statements.
I. The Bill seeks to enable employers to pay wages to workers through cheque or directly crediting to their accounts.
II. The Bill replaces the Payment of Wages Ordinance, 2016, which was promulgated on 28 December 2016.
Which is/are correct?
a) Only I
b) Only II
c) Both I and II
d) Neither I nor II
10. Penguin Random House recently announced that a novel titled “The Golden House” will be released in September 2017. Who is the author of the book?
a) Arundhati Roy
b) Salman Rushdie
c) Jhumpa Lahiri
d) Chetan Bhagat
11. Which Indian-origin sculptor was recently awarded Israel’s Genesis prize?
a) Kanayi Kunhiraman
b) Riyas Komu
c) Wajid Khan
d) Anish Kapoor
12. Joginder Singh, who passed away recently, was the former Director of which organisation?
a) Intelligence Bureau
b) Indian Army
c) Central Bureau of Investigation
d) Indian Coast Guard
13. Which technology giant is planning to launch its mobile payment wallet in India?
14. Who was chosen as the Managing Director & CEO of National Stock Exchange?
a) Mohandas Pal
b) Ashok Chawla
c) Vikram Limaye
d) KR Ramakrishna
15. What is the theme of the 2017 International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation?
a) Achieving the new Global Goals through the elimination of Female Genital Mutilation by 2030
b) Mobilization of Health Personnel to Accelerate Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation
c) Building a solid and interactive bridge between Africa and the world to accelerate ending FGM by 2030
d) None of the above
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Kuwait
In the first week of February 2017, Kuwait has suspended the issuance of visas for nationals of Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran. The government has initiated this step in order to contain the migration of radical Islamic terrorists.
2. (a) Rajasthan and Telangana
Rajasthan and Telangana won the ‘Winners of Excellence’ under the state category of the eGovernance Awards 2017. These awards were instituted by Computer Society of India’s (CSI) Special Interest Group in sponsorship with Nihilent Technologies. They seek to recognise the efforts of eGovernance practitioners spread across state and central departments, projects as well as in district administrative units.
3. (c) USD 76.5 billion
On 31 January 2017, the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the Economic Survey 2016-17 in the Parliament. As per the survey, the trade deficit was declined to USD 76.5 billion between April 2016 and December 2017.
4. (b) K Vijay Kumar
The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh released the book titled ‘Veerappan, Chasing the Brigand’, written by K Vijay Kumar, Senior Security Adviser, Ministry of Home Affairs. Vijay Kumar was behind the killing of Veerappan during “Operation Cocoon” in 2004.
5. (d) Gujarat
The State Government of Gujarat has become the first one in the country to install Aadhaar Enabled Payment System in 17250 Fair Price Shops (FPSs), much before the targeted date of 31 March 2017. This will help in establishing the identity of beneficiaries, help in stopping the leakages of grains at shop level and above all eradicate corruption in the Public Distribution System.
6. (d) Arunachal Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh on 7 February 2017 became the first state in the northeast to implement e-Cabinet solution for the state cabinet members. With the e-Cabinet solution, the Arunachal Pradesh Government plans to streamline its decision-making process.
7. (c) Somalia
The Parliament of Somalia elected former Prime Minister Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo, as the country's new president on 8 February 2017. Farmajo was chosen after two rounds of voting, after which he immediately took the oath of the office.
8. (b) Japan
Scientists from Japan have developed terahertz (THz) transmitter technology. It is a next generation system and can transmit digital data over 10 times faster than 5G mobile networks.
9. (c) Both I and II
The Lok Sabha on 7 February 2017 passed the Payment of Wages (Amendment) Bill, 2017. The Bill seeks to enable employers to pay wages to workers through cheque or directly crediting to their accounts. It was moved by Labour and Employment Minister Bandaru Dattatreya in the House. It will replace the Ordinance promulgated by the President on 28 December 2016.
10. (b) Salman Rushdie
Author Salman Rushdie’s new novel titled 'The Golden House' is slated to release in September 2017. The announcement was made by Penguin Random House on 7 February 2017. The book will be published in India by Penguin Random House, which acquired the subcontinent rights from the Wylie Agency.
11. (d) Anish Kapoor
Britain-based Indian-origin artist Anish Kapoor was honoured with Israel's Genesis prize, popularly known as the Jewish Nobel for his commitment to Jewish values on 6 February 2017.
12. (c) Central Bureau of Investigation
Joginder Singh, the former chief of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), served under the HD Deve Gowda government and headed several high profile investigations including the Bofors and fodder scams.
13. (c) Samsung
The technology giant Samsung is soon going to launch its mobile payment wallet ‘Samsung Pay’ in India. The launch is expected to happen in the first half of 2017.
14. (c) Vikram Limaye
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) board has recently selected Vikram Limaye (the Managing Director & CEO of IDFC), as the new MD & CEO of NSE. The approval of the board, chaired by Ashok Chawla, comes after a 4-member search panel suggested Limaye’s name from amongst the shortlisted candidates.
15. (c) Building a solid and interactive bridge between Africa and the world to accelerate ending FGM by 2030
The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation was observed across the world on 6 February 2017. The theme for the year is “Building a solid and interactive bridge between Africa and the world to accelerate ending FGM by 2030.”
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.