11 September to 17 September 2017: JagranJosh weekly quizzes will help you revise for competitive exams at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences of the week. The quizzes in this week’s segment cover topics including India, Belarus MoUs, 36th National Games and Global Human Capital Report 2017 among others.
1. Who was awarded with N R Madhava Menon Best Law Teacher Award?
a) Tahir Mahmood
b) Tara Prasad Sapkota
c) Bhavani Prasad Panda
d) Faizan Mustafa
2. The Supreme Court recently ruled that the six months cooling period in divorce cases can be waived off by a trial court. This cooling period was directed under which Act?
a) Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
b) The Special Marriage Act, 1954
c) The Foreign Marriage Act, 1969
d) All of them
3. Which Hackathon was launched to support & showcase potentially great talent from inner India?
4. When is the Hindi Diwas celebrated every year in India?
a) 13 September
b) 14 September
c) 15 September
d) 16 September
5. Which Indian-American was awarded with 2017 Balzan Prize recently?
a) Tara Prasad Sapkota
b) Bhavani Prasad Panda
c) Faizan Mustafa
d) Bina Agarwal
6. The central government has set up an online service facility to resolve foreign trade-related issues of the traders. What is the facility called?
a) DGFT- solutions
c) Trade- resolve
d) Foreign Trade solutions
7. Mountain ranges of which planet have been named after Nepali and New Zealand mountaineers - Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary?
8. Which country has sent out ballots for non-binding vote on support for legalizing same-sex marriage?
a) United Kingdom
9. India signed 10 MoUs to expand cooperation in areas like youth affairs, oil and gas, skill development, scientific research and education with which country?
10. India has signed a MoU on cooperation in the field of disaster management with which former Soviet republic?
11. Who of the following won the 2017 US Open Women’s Singles title?
a) Martina Hingis
b) Sloane Stephens
c) Madison Keys
d) Chan Yung-jan
12. Who of the following won the 2017 US Open Men’s Singles title?
a) Rafael Nadal
b) Roger Federer
c) Kevin Anderson
d) Stan Wawrinka
13. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs recently approved survey of Un-appraised Areas of Sedimentary Basins. How many sedimentary basins are there in India?
14. Which of the following states will host the 36th National Games?
b) Uttar Pradesh
15. What is the rank of India in the recently released Global Human Capital Report 2017?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Tahir Mahmood
Eminent jurist Tahir Mahmood was awarded with the prestigious Prof N R Madhava Menon Best Law Teacher Award 2017 at a function organised by the Society of Indian Law Firms (SILF) and Menon Institute of Legal Advocacy Training (MILAT).
2. (a) Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
The Supreme Court (SC) on 12 September 2017 held that the cooling period of six months for granting the decree of divorce under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 can be waived off by a trial court if there is no possibility of settlement between a couple.
3. (a) #OpenGovDataHack
Union Minister for Electronics & Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad launched a nation-wide hackathon #OpenGovDataHack. As part of the Startup Eco-system Development program, NIC and IAMAI have collaborated to conduct #OpenGovDataHack across seven states of India.
4. (b) 14 September
India celebrated Hindi Diwas on 14 September 2017 every year. Hindi was given the status of the official language of India on 14 September 1949. This resolution was adopted under the Constitution of India in 1950.
5. (d) Bina Agarwal
The International Balzan Foundation on 11 September 2017 announced the winners of the 2017 Balzan Prize. This year, Indian economist Bina Agarwal was recognised among other awardees for her work on women's contributions to agriculture in India.
6. (b) Contact@DGFT
The Union government has set up an online service facility, Contact@DGFT, which can be used by importers and exporters to resolve all foreign trade-related issues. The facility, which has been activated on the directorate general of foreign trade (DGFT) website, will enable traders to raise all matters related to the Directorate or other agencies of the Centre and States.
7. (c) Pluto
The International Astronomical Union has named two mountain ranges on Pluto after legendary mountaineers from Nepal and New Zealand, Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary respectively. The Astronomical Union for the first time officially approved the naming of 14 features on the icy dwarf planet. These are the first geological features on the planet to be named.
8. (b) Australia
Australia has begun sending out ballots for a non-binding vote on support for legalizing same-sex marriage. People will have until 7 November to cast their vote by mail and results of the voluntary poll are expected on 15 November 2017.
9. (d) Belarus
India and Belarus on 12 September 2017 signed 10 Memorandums of Understanding to expand cooperation in a range of areas including oil and gas, youth affairs and sports, skill development and entrepreneurship, scientific and technical cooperation, agricultural research and education and culture.
10. (b) Armenia
The Union Cabinet on 12 September 2017 approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Armenia on cooperation in the field of disaster management. The agreement aims to enhance cooperation between the two nations in the field of Disaster Management and contribute to the well-being and safety of the people of both the countries in the event of a disaster.
11. (b) Sloane Stephens
Sloane Stephens on 10 September 2017 won her first major, the 2017 US Open Women’s Singles title, in New York. She defeated Madison Keys 6-3 6-0 to grab the prestigious title. The unseeded Stephens now ranks at No. 83 in the world.
12. (a) Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal on 10 September 2017 won his third US Open and 16th Grand Slam title in New York. He defeated South Africa's Kevin Anderson 6-3 6-3 6-4 to grab the prestigious title.
13. (a) 26
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 12 September 2017 gave green signal for a significant project to acquire 48243 Line Kilometer (LKM) 2D seismic data for appraisal of Indian sedimentary basins. The survey project will help in increasing the investments in domestic production of oil and gas. India has 26 sedimentary basins covering an area of 3.14 million square kilometres spread over onland, shallow water and deep water.
14. (c) Goa
The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on 13 September 2017 formally awarded the rights to host the 36th National Games to Goa. The announcement was made by the state sports minister Manohar Ajgaonkar.
15. (b) 103rd
The World Economic Forum (WEF) on 13 September 2017 released the Global Human Capital Report 2017. India occupied the 103rd position among the 130 countries surveyed in the Index. In 2015, India's position was 105th among the 130 countries surveyed in the Index.