The Weekly Current Affairs Quizzes brought by Jagranjosh.com covers the most important happenings of the week. The weekly updates will help you in revising the most important events of the particular week with an ease for the next competitive exams that will be faced by you. This week's updated quizzes cover the topics like India’s National Productivity Week 2017, India’s rank in the 2017 International Intellectual Property Index and 70th British Academy Film Awards among others.
1. What was the theme of the India’s National Productivity Week (NPW) 2017?
a) From waste to profits-through reduce, recycle and reuse
b) Build Smart for a future ready India
c) Ease of Doing Business for higher productivity
d) Lean management for productivity enhancement
2. Which Indian survey vessel has gone completely green by installing a solar power system on board?
a) INS Makar
b) INS Nirupak
c) INS Investigator
d) INS Sarvekshak
3. What was India’s rank in the 2017 International Intellectual Property Index?
4. Which movie won the best film and best director award at the 70th British Academy Film Awards, BAFTA?
c) La La Land
d) Manchester by the Sea
5. The Indian Space Research Organisation is planning its maiden mission to explore which planet?
6. Which country has built the world’s largest amphibian aircraft?
c) United States
7. Who was appointed as the new Under-Secretary-General for the United Nations’ Peacekeeping Operations?
a) Jean-Pierre Lacroix
b) Jeffrey Feltman
c) Oscar Fernandez-Taranco
d) Atul Khare
8. The administration of the USA imposed sanctions against the Vice President of this country for his involvement in drug-related activities.
9. This State Government issued a notification amending the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act 1970.
10. Name the portal and mobile application that was launched by Union Minister Piyush Goyal to ensure transparent award of Clearances for Mining Operations.
11. Bheege Chunariya, a Holi-themed festival, will soon be launched in which of the following cities?
b) New York
12. As per a report published by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights, it is in this State child marriage is widely prevalent.
c) Andhra Pradesh
13. What is the theme of the Hunar Haat-2017?
a) USTTAD (Upgrading the Skills & Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development)
b) Craft Aur Cuisine Ka Sangam
c) Sangam: Where crafts meet cuisine
d) None of the above
14. Which nation plans to build the first city on Mars by 2117?
b) United States
c) United Arab Emirates
15. Which of the following city will host India’s first sport theme literary festival ‘SporTale’?
b) New Delhi
Answers with Explanations
1. (a) From waste to profits-through reduce, recycle and reuse
National Productivity Week (NPW) is observed every year from February 12-18 by the National Productivity Council (NPC) to stimulate and promote productivity and quality consciousness across all sectors in India. The theme for the year was “From waste to profits-through reduce, recycle and reuse.”
2. (d) INS Sarvekshak
INS Sarvekshak, the survey vessel of Indian Navy has gone green by installing a solar power system on board. According to Indian Navy, the system is 100 per cent reliable for power source and can be used for a variety of functions.
3. (d) 43
The US Chamber of Commerce’s Global Intellectual Property Center (GIPC) released the 2017 International Intellectual Property Index in February 2017. The index placed India at the 43rd position, among the 45 countries surveyed.
4. (c) La La Land
Director Damien Chazelle's musical "La La Land" continued its award dominance by taking five trophies including best film, best director and best actress awards at the 70th British Academy Film Awards, BAFTA.
5. (c) Venus
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning its maiden mission to Venus and its second one to the Red planet. The same was confirmed by the newly allotted budget to the department of space, which mentions provisions for ‘Mars Orbiter Mission II and mission to Venus’.
6. (d) China
China's amphibian aircraft, which is stated to be the world's largest, has successfully passed engine tests and is expected to make its maiden flight in the first half of this year.
7. (a) Jean-Pierre Lacroix
France’s Jean-Pierre Lacroix has been appointed as the Under-Secretary-General for the United Nations’ Peacekeeping Operations. He has been appointed for the period of one year beginning 1 April 2017.
8. (c) Venezuela
The Donald Trump administration of the USA in February 2017 imposed sanctions against the Vice President of Venezuela Tareck El Aissami, calling him a ‘drug kingpin'.
9. (d) Maharashtra
In a major reform of a key labour law, the Maharashtra government has issued a notification amending the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act 1970 which will substantially reduce the number of establishments covered by this law in the state.
10. (d) TAMRA
Piyush Goyal on 15 February 2017 launched the Transparency, Auction Monitoring and Resource Augmentation (TAMRA) Portal and Mobile Application. TAMRA was created with an aim to speed up mining activity in India and facilitated all stakeholders to track the status of clearances linked to mining blocks for getting mines to reach till operationalisation for the same.
11. (d) Dubai
A festival of colours with a message of forgiveness was launched her in presence of Bollywood actor Sonu Sood. Red Fly Events, an event management company, is set to host the celebrations, "Bheege Chunariya", in the UAE on 17 March 2017.
12. (c) Andhra Pradesh
Although child marriage is banned, 1,71,083 girls and 1,72,934 boys were married off in the last five years in Andhra Pradesh before they reached the marriageable age.
13. (b) Craft Aur Cuisine Ka Sangam
The second edition of “Hunar Haat” has been organized with the theme “Craft Aur Cuisine Ka Sangam” from February 11, 2017 to promote minority communities craftsmen in domestic and international markets. It will remain open till 26th of this month at State Emporia Complex in Connaught Place, New Delhi.
14. (c) United Arab Emirates
The President and Vice President of UAE, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum respectively, announced in February 2017 that they are planning to build the first inhabitable human settlement on Mars by 2117.
15. (a) Pune
India’s first sports literature festival ‘SporTale’ will be held in Pune on February 2, 2017. The 2-day event will feature approx 38 luminaries from the field of sports, media, cinema, books and photography.