Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 17 May to 23 May 2021
The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Miss Universe, Sunderlal Bahuguna, People’s Advocate of COP26 and Legislative Council among others.
17 May to 23 May 2021: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Miss Universe, Sunderlal Bahuguna, People’s Advocate of COP26 and Legislative Council among others.
1. Who has been crowned Miss Universe for the year 2020?
a) Adline Castelino
b) Andrea Meza
c) Julia Gama
d) Janick Maceta
2. As per centre's new advisory, how much distance can aerosols carrying the Covid-19 virus travel in the air?
a) 10 meters
b) 20 meters
c) 15 meters
d) 30 meters
3. Which nation has rejected the bid by India's ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL) for operating rights in a gas field that it had first discovered?
4. Noted Indian environmentalist Sunderlal Bahuguna passed away due to COVID-19 on May 21, 2021. He was a prominent leader of which among the following movements?
a) Narmada Bachao Andholan
b) Chipko Movement
c) Save Silent Valley Movement
d) Appiko Movement
5. Which state government has approved setting up of the Legislative Council?
c) Tamil Nadu
d) West Bengal
6. Which among the following treatment procedures has been dropped for the management of COVID-19?
d) Convalescent plasma
8. Who has been appointed as People’s Advocate of COP26 for Climate Change?
a) David Attenborough
b) Priyanka Chopra
c) Greta Thunberg
d) Leonardo DiCaprio
9. Johnson and Johnson has partnered with which Indian pharma company for manufacturing its COVID-19 vaccine?
a) Biological E
b) Bharat Biotech
c) Zydus Cadila
d) Serum Institute
10. Who has become the first Indian fighter to become MMA World Champion?
a) Chaitanya Gavali
b) Sunny Khatri
c) Mohammed Farhad
d) Arjan Singh Bhullar
11. Who has developed the new anti-Covid drug 2-DG?
b) Bharat Biotech
12. Which country has become the second one in the world to send a rover to Mars?
1. (b) Andrea Meza
Mexico's Andrea Meza has been crowned Miss Universe 2020 at the 69th edition of the pageant on May 16, 2021. The 26-year-old was crowned by her predecessor South Africa’s Zozibini Tunzi, who had won the pageant in 2019.
2. (a) 10 meters
The centre's new advisory released on May 19, 2021 stated that aerosols, one of the key transmission mode of the SARS-CoV-2, can travel in the air up to 10 meters.
3. (c) Iran
India's state-owned ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL) has lost its development and operating rights in Iran's Farzad-B giant gas field to Iranian Petropars Group. An ONGC-led consortium had first discovered the giant gas field in the Farsi offshore exploration block in 2008. It was later named Farzad-B.
4. (b) Chipko Movement
Sunderlal Bahuguna, the 94-year-old Chipko movement leader and a noted environmentalist, passed away due to COVID-19 on May 21, 2021, at AIIMS hospital in Rishikesh.
5. (d) West Bengal
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee approved setting up of the Legislative Council or Vidhan Parishad in the state during a cabinet meeting conducted through video conferencing on May 17, 2021 with several Departmental Secretaries. This was one of the poll promises of the Trinamool Congress(TMC).
6. (d) Convalescent plasma
Convalescent plasma therapy has been dropped from India's COVID-19 treatment protocol. The Covid National Task Force released new clinical guidelines for the management of mild, moderate and severe Covid cases on May 17, 2021 and they do not mention plasma therapy.
7. (c) WhatsApp
8. (a) David Attenborough
Sir David Attenborough, a natural historian and a world-renowned broadcaster, was appointed on May 10, 2021 as the People’s Advocate of the COP26 for the UK’s Presidency of the UN Climate Change summit to be held in Glasgow in November 2021.
9. (a) Biological E
US Pharmaceutical company Johnson and Johnson has partnered with a Telangana-based pharma company in India, Biological E Limited for manufacturing of its COVID-19 vaccine.
10. (d) Arjan Singh Bhullar
Arjan ‘Singh’ Bhullar became the first Indian fighter to win the ONE Heavyweight World Title at the top-level (Mixed Martial Arts) MMA Championship event in Singapore on May 16, 2021, after defeating the longtime heavyweight king Brandon ‘The Truth’ Vera.
11. (a) DRDO
The new anti-COVID drug 2-DG has been developed by DRDO's Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS) in collaboration with Dr Reddy's Laboratories (DRL). The 2-DG drug comes in a sachet in powder form and it can be taken orally by dissolving it in water. It helps in faster recovery and also reduces oxygen dependency among COVID patients.
12. (c) China
Tianwen-1, China’s uncrewed spacecraft successfully landed on the surface of Mars on May 15, 2021. The landing of the spacecraft has made the country only the second in the world to send a rover for exploring the Red Planet. China's ‘Zhurong’ Rover was onboard the lander and the rover will soon be deployed to study the Martian geology and atmosphere.