JagranJosh weekly quizzes will help you revise for competitive exams at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences of the week. The quizzes in this week’s segment cover topics including water storage level of 91 major reservoirs of India, Google’s Unified Payments Interface and BWF Korean Open Super Series among others.
1. As announced by the Union Ministry of Water Resources recently, water storage level of 91 major reservoirs of India went up by how many percent?
a) 2 per cent
b) 1.5 per cent
c) 0.5 percent
d) 3 per cent
2. What is the newly revised cost norm that has been approved by the Union Cabinet for the severely malnourished children?
a) Rs 8
b) Rs 12
c) Rs 9.50
d) Rs 16
3. This iconic 1965 Indo-Pak war hero, the first-ever Marshal of the Indian Air Force passed away on 16 September 2017. What is his name?
a) Arjan Singh
b) Arijit Singh
c) Harpreet Singh
d) Balbeer Singh
4. Which state’s government has announced the setting up of a well-equipped skill city?
a) Uttar Pradesh
5. India has exempted import duty on a range of sporting goods and equipments for which major sporting event?
a) FIFA U-17 World Cup
b) National Games
c) BWF World Senior Championships
d) Pro Kabaddi League
6. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has launched Google’s Unified Payments Interface (UPI) based digital payment service. What is the service called?
b) Citrus Pay
7. The WCD Ministry is holding 1st National Conference on Mission Mode to address which raging issue?
a) Under Nutrition
c) Gender Inequality
d) Hygiene& Sanitation
8. Which among the following cricket teams has not directly qualified for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019?
d) West Indies
9. Which of following steel making companies supplied 80 per cent of steel for the construction of the Sardar Sarovar Dam Project?
a) Steel Authority of India
b) Rashtriya Ispat Nigam
c) Tata Steel
d) POSCO India
10. Which of the following species was recently moved from ‘Endangered’ to ‘Vulnerable’ category in the IUCN Red List?
a) African Penguin
b) Asiatic Lion
c) Lear’s Macaw
d) Snow Leopard
11. Which of the following television series won the Outstanding Drama Series award at the 69th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards?
a) House of Cards
b) The Handmaid's Tale
d) This is Us
12. PV Sindhu recently became the first Indian shuttler to win the BWF Korean Open Super Series. Whom did she defeat to grab the title?
a) Nozomi Okuhara
b) Debby Susanto
c) Akane Yamaguchi
d) Sung Ji-hyun
13. Who was recently appointed as the Director-General of the National Investigation Agency?
a) Radha Vinod Raju
b) Sharad Kumar
c) Y C Modi
d) None of the above
14. Which of the following countries will conduct the BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017?
15. Rajnikant Mishra was recently named the new Chief of the Sashastra Seema Bal. He will replace
a) Ranjit Sinha
b) Pranay Sahay
c) U.K. Bansal
d) Archana Ramasundaram
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) 2 per cent
The water storage available in 91 major reservoirs of the country for the week ending on 21 September 2017 was 96.952 BCM which is 61% of total storage capacity of these reservoirs. This percentage was at 59% for the week ending on 14 2017.
2. (b) Rs 12
The Union Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 20 September 2017 approved the proposal for increase of cost norms for supplementary nutrition provided in Anganwadis and for out of school adolescent girls under Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS). The revised Supplementary Nutrition cost norms for the severely malnourished has been raised from Rs 9 to Rs 12.
3. (a) Arjan Singh
Arjan Singh, Marshal of the Indian Air Force passed away on 16 September 2017 in New Delhi, after suffering a cardiac arrest. He was 98. The Padma Vibhushan awardee breathed his last at the Army's Research and Referral hospital in Delhi. He is survived by a son and a daughter. His wife passed away in 2011.
4. (b) Assam
The Assam state government has announced setting up of a well-equipped skill city with a capacity of 10000 training seats in the state. The government would be getting the support of a Singapore based premier institute for the mission. The project includes setting up of skill training centres at block levels.
5. (a) FIFA U-17 World Cup
The Union government has exempted import duty on a wide range of goods and sports items for the upcoming FIFA U-17 World Cup India. The goods include all sports equipment and sports requisites, fitness equipment, team uniform, spares, accessories, first aid kits, doping control equipment and broadcast equipment and supplies.
6. (d) Tez
Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on 18 September 2017 launched Google's Unified Payments Interface (UPI)-based digital payment service called ‘Tez’ in New Delhi. The move is a part of Google’s efforts to try and gain a foothold in the country’s rapidly-growing digital payments space.
7. (a) Under Nutrition
The Ministry of Women and Child Development on 19 September 2017 would be holding the first National Conference on Mission Mode to address Under-Nutrition in the country. The conference would be organised in New Delhi by the WCD Ministry in collaboration with Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, keeping in mind the goal of Malnutrition Free India-2022.
8. (d) West Indies
In September 2017, Sri Lanka became the eighth and last team to qualify directly for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 after West Indies lost their first ODI against England. With this, Sri Lanka joined Australia, Bangladesh, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan and South Africa, who qualified earlier. West Indies will now progress to the 10-team ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier in March 2018 along with Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland.
9. (a) Steel Authority of India
State-run SAIL recently announced that it has supplied 80 per cent of the steel used for the construction of the Sardar Sarovar Dam Project on the Narmada river that was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
10. (d) Snow Leopard
The International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) in September 2017 announced that snow leopards are no longer considered an endangered species. The IUCN moved the animal into the less urgent “vulnerable” category. Although, the species still remain at risk from a reduction in numbers of its prey and poaching for its fur and bones. It is interesting to note that the IUCN has reclassified snow leopard for the first time in 45 years.
11. (b) The Handmaid's Tale
The 69th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards was announced on 17 September 2017 at the Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles, California, U.S. The Handmaid's Tale became the first web television series to win the award for Outstanding Drama Series.
12. (a) Nozomi Okuhara
PV Sindhu on 17 September 2017 became the first Indian shuttler to win the BWF Korean Open Super Series. She defeated Nozomi Okuhara of Japan 22-20, 11-21, 21-18 to grab the prestigious title.
13. (c) Y C Modi
Senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Y C Modi on 18 September 2017 was appointed the new Director General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA). He will replace Sharad Kumar, who is will retire on 30 October 2017.
14. (c) India
The first BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2017 (BIMSTEC DMEx-2017) will be conducted by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency from 10 October to 13 October 2017. The Exercise will be conducted in the National Capital Region (NCR). This Exercise will serve as a platform for sharing best practices on all aspects of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), strengthening regional response and coordination for Disaster Management among the BIMSTEC member countries.
15. (d) Archana Ramasundaram
Rajnikant Mishra in September 2017 has been named as the new Chief of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). The decision was taken by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on 18 September 2017. Mishra will succeed Archana Ramasundaram who is set to retire on 30 September 2017.