2 October to 8 October 2017: JagranJosh weekly quizzes will help you revise for competitive exams at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences of the week. The quizzes in this week’s segment cover topics including 8th Conference of the Association of SAARC, new SBI Chairman and 14th India-EU summit among others.
1. The 8th Conference of the Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians is scheduled to be held in which city?
a) New Delhi
2. The Bi-annual Director General- level talks have begun in New Delhi between India and which bordering nation?
3. Retired justice G Rohini would be heading the 5-member commission formed by the Indian President to examine sub-categorisation of OBCs. She was the first woman Chief Justice of which High Court?
a) Bombay High Court
b) Allahabad High Court
c) Delhi High Court
d) Madras High Court
4. Who has been appointed as the new Governor of Bihar?
a) Satya Pal Malik
b) Banwarilal Purohit
c) Jagdish Mukhi
d) Ganga Prasad
5. Who has been appointed as the new Governor of Tamil Nadu?
a) B. D. Mishra
b) Banwarilal Purohit
c) Jagdish Mukhi
d) Ganga Prasad
6. Which state has topped all others by building 3.52 lakh toilet units in 17 days?
b) Madhya Pradesh
c) Uttar Pradesh
7. The eighth annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017 will be held in which Indian city?
b) New Delhi
8. Who will be leading the US Delegation at the GES 2017?
a) Ivanka Trump
b) Jim Mattis
c) Donald Trump
d) Rex Tillerson
9. India signed agreements on trade, communication and media with which nation?
10. The 14th India and European Union summit was held in which Indian city?
c) New Delhi
11. The first-ever ASEAN-India Music Festival is being held in which city?
c) New Delhi
12. Who is the captain of the Indian U-17 football side, which has become first-ever Indian team to participate in a FIFA tournament?
a) Amarjit Singh Kiyam
b) Dheeraj Singh
c) Anwar Ali
d) Aniket Jadhav
13. Which country has signed a massive USD 4.5 billion third line of credit (LoC) agreement with India?
d) Sri Lanka
14. Director General of ICMR, Soumya Swaminathan, has been appointed as the Deputy Director General of which international body?
a) World Health Organization
b) Global Health Council
c) International Medical Corps
d) International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
15. Who has been appointed as the new chairman of SBI?
a) Aswini Kumar
b) Rajeev Rishi
c) S.S. Mundra
d) Rajnish Kumar
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Colombo
The eighth Conference of the Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians (ASSP) will be held from 4-6 October 2017 in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The Indian delegation at the conference would be lead by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
2. (b) Bangladesh
The Chiefs of the border guarding forces of India and Bangladesh would be holding bi-annual talks to discuss a host of issues including movement of Rohingya immigrants across the border. The Director General-level talks, the 45th between the two sides, will be held for the duration of 4 days.
3. (c) Delhi High Court
Retired Chief Justice of Delhi High Court, G Rohini would be heading the 5-member commission appointed by President Ram Nath Kovind to examine the politically-sensitive issue of sub-categorisation of Other Backward Castes (OBCs). Rohini was the first woman Chief Justice of Delhi High Court.
4. (a) Satya Pal Malik
BJP's National Vice President Satyapal Malik has been made the new Governor of Bihar. Satyapal Malik is among the prominent leaders of the BJP. He has also been an MP from Aligarh. After becoming the President of Ramnath Kovind, West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi was given additional charge of Bihar.
5. (b) Banwarilal Purohit
Banwari Lal Purohit has been made the new Governor of Tamil Nadu. So far, the additional charge of the governor of Tamil Nadu was being handled by Maharashtra Governor C. Vidyasagar Rao. Previously, Banwari Lal was serving as the governor of Assam.
6. (c) Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh government on 3 October 2017 stated that it has built over 3.52 lakh toilet units in 17 days under the Centre's Swachhta hi Seva campaign thereby, topping other states in the effort. Following UP in the effort is Rajasthan, which constructed around 2, 54,953 toilets and then Karnataka, which built around 2, 41,708 toilets in the same period.
7. (d) Hyderabad
The eighth annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017 will be held in Hyderabad, India from 28-30 November 2017. A high-level delegation from the Government of India and the USA met at NITI Aayog to plan the summit.
8. (a) Ivanka Trump
The eighth annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017 will be held in Hyderabad, India from 28-30 November 2017. The Summit will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Advisor to the POTUS (President of the US) Ivanka Trump, who will lead the US delegation.
9. (a) Ethiopia
India and Ethiopia has signed agreements on trade, communication and media to boost bilateral ties.The agreements were signed in the presence of President Ram Nath Kovind and his Ethiopian counterpart Mulatu Teshome at the National Palace in Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa following detailed discussions on economic relations.
10. (c) New Delhi
The 14th India and European Union summit is underway in New Delhi. Both the groups are expected to discuss a host of key issues including ways to remove hurdles for the long-pending free trade agreement.
11. (c) New Delhi
The first ever ASEAN-India music festival began at Purana Quila in New Delhi on 6 October 2017. The 3-day festival is being organised by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India in collaboration with Culture Ministry to celebrate the 25th year anniversary of ASEAN-India Dialogue Relations. It will conclude on 8 October 2017.
12. (a) Amarjit Singh Kiyam
The much-awaited FIFA U-17 World Cup kicks off today with four opening day matches to be played in Delhi and Mumbai.The Indian U-17 team is going to create history, as this is the first time that India will be participating in a FIFA World Cup. The team would be lead by captain Amarjit Singh Kiyam.
13. (c) Bangladesh
Bangladesh on 4 October 2017 signed a massive USD 4.5 billion third line of credit (LoC) agreement with India for its social sector development and infrastructure with Finance Minister Arun Jaitley vowing to back the country’s developmental initiatives.
14. (a) World Health Organization
Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, director general of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), has been appointed Deputy Director-General of World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva. This position is the second-highest at the UN’s health agency. The position is also the highest post held by any Indian in the WHO.
15. (d) Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar was appointed the next chairman of the State Bank of India. He is at present the Managing Director of State Bank of India (SBI). He will be succeeding Arundhati Bhattacharya, who is at present serving her one-year extension.