30 January to 5 February 2017: The Weekly Current Affairs Quizzes brought by Jagranjosh.com covers the most important happenings of the week. The weekly updates will help you in revising the most important events of the particular week with an ease for the next competitive exams that will be faced by you. This week's updated quizzes cover the topics like UberMOTO, 19th Bharat Rang Mahotsav and India’s largest start-up incubator among others.
1. Scientists have developed a first of its kind new bovine Tuberculosis (TB)-resistant clone of which animal?
2. Which country became the first in the world to pass a bill to completely stop investment in fossil fuel?
3. It is with this multilateral organisation, India signed a USD 201.50 million financing agreement.
a) International Monetary Fund
b) World Bank Group
c) New Development Bank
d) Asian Infrastructure and Investment Bank
4. Which initiative will be launched by Union Government to provide education and skills through digital means, as per the Union Budget 2017?
b) Bhim App
d) None of the above
5. India has signed a MoU to construct a multi-ethnic secondary school with which one of its neighbours?
a) Sri Lanka
6. The cab hailing firm Uber launched its two-wheeler aggregation service UberMOTO in which city?
7. The 19th Bharat Rang Mahotsav recently commenced in New Delhi. In this regard, consider the following statements.
I. Bharat Rang Mahotsav is the annual theatre festival of National School of Drama.
II. The festival was established in the year 1999.
Which of these statements is/are correct?
a) Only I
b) Only II
c) Both I and II
d) Neither I nor II
8. Which Arab nation is planning to launch it’s first-ever Mars Mission in 2020?
c) Saudi Arabia
d) The United Arab Emirates
9. Which country has suspended the issuance of visas to travellers from Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria and Afghanistan?
b) The United States of America
10. The India Innovation Index was launched by
a) NITI Aayog
b) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
c) Ministry of Finance
d) Department of Science and Technology
11. India’s largest start-up incubator will be set up in which state?
b) West Bengal
c) Andhra Pradesh
12. Name the states that bagged the Winners of Excellence eGov awards 2017 recently?
a) Rajasthan and Telangana
b) Kerala and Tamil Nadu
c) Maharashtra and Punjab
d) Bihar and Jharkhand
13. Which entity was granted the Payments Bank Licence by RBI recently?
b) India Post
14. As per the Economic Survey, the trade deficit declined to this many USD between April 2016 and December 2017.
a) USD 56.5 billion
b) USD 66.5 billion
c) USD 76.5 billion
d) USD 86.5 billion
15. Who of the following was appointed as the Miss Universe 2016?
a) Miss France Iris Mittenaere
b) Miss Haiti Raquel Pelissier
c) Miss Colombia Andrea Tovar
d) Miss Kenya Mary Esther Were
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Cow
For the first time, researchers have genetically modified cows to be resistant to the bacterium that causes bovine tuberculosis. Researchers from China’s Northwest A&F University used a technique called CRISPR to insert a gene associated with tuberculosis resistance into 20 cows, 11 of which lived past the age of 3 months.
2. (c) Ireland
In January 2017, Ireland's parliament has become the first in the world to vote to divest from fossil fuels. The vote paves the way for a historic ban on government investment in nonrenewable energy. The Irish parliament, the Dail, voted 90 to 53 to pass the historic Fossil Fuel Divestment Bill.
3. (b) World Bank Group
India and the World Bank Group (WBG) on 1 February 2017 signed a financing agreement worth of USD 201.50 million for the Third Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP III).
4. (c) DigiGaon
In the Union Budget 2017-18, the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitle announced the government’s intention to launch DigiGaon. The initiative will be used to provide telemedicine, education and skills through digital technology.
5. (a) Sri Lanka
In February 2017, India and Sri Lanka have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to build a multi-ethnic tri-lingual school in a north central district of Sri Lanka. The school will provide opportunities to Sinhala, Tamil and Muslim students to learn in a multi-cultural environment.
6. (d) Hyderabad
The Uber on 30 January 2017 launched its two-wheeler aggregation service UberMOTO in Hyderabad. With fares at Rs 25 for the first 3 km and Rs 5 per km thereafter, the services will be available between 8 am and 10 pm in parts of the city.
7. (c) Both I and II
The 19th Bharat Rang Mahotsav or International Theatre Festival of India commenced on 1 February 2017 in New Delhi. The 21-day festival will conclude on 21 February 2017. The performances will be held at Abhimanch, Open Air Theatre, Bahumukh and Sammukh at the National School of Drama Campus.
8. (d) The United Arab Emirates
The United Arab Emirates is planning to launch its first-ever mission to Mars in 2020. The mission will consist of an unmanned orbiter called ‘Hope’ from Japan’s space centre.
9. (a) Kuwait
In the first week of February 2017, Kuwait has suspended the issuance of visas for nationals of Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran. The government has initiated this step in order to contain the migration of radical Islamic terrorists.
10. (a) NITI Aayog
NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant on 2 February 2017 launched the India Innovation Index in New Delhi. It is India’s first online innovation index portal. It will capture data on innovation from all Indian states and regularly update it in real time.
11. (a) Karnataka
In January 2017, the Deshpande Foundation has decided to launch India’s largest startup incubation centre at Hubballi in Karnataka. The foundation is run by US-based Silicon Valley entrepreneur Gururaj “Desh” Deshpande.
12. (a) Rajasthan and Telangana
Rajasthan and Telangana won the ‘Winners of Excellence’ under the state category of the eGovernance Awards 2017. These awards were instituted by Computer Society of India’s (CSI) Special Interest Group in sponsorship with Nihilent Technologies. They seek to recognise the efforts of eGovernance practitioners spread across state and central departments, projects as well as in district administrative units.
13. (b) India Post
India Post on 30 January 2017 got the licence from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to work as a Payments Bank. Under the Department of Posts (Union Ministry of Communications and Information Technology), India Post became the third entity after Bharti Airtel and Paytm to receive final payments bank licence to roll-out banking operations commercially.
14. (c) USD 76.5 billion
On 31 January 2017, the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the Economic Survey 2016-17 in the Parliament. As per the survey, the trade deficit was declined to USD 76.5 billion between April 2016 and December 2017.
15. (a) Miss France Iris Mittenaere
France’s Iris Mittenaere on 30 January 2017 was crowned the Miss Universe 2016. The pageant was held at the Mall of Asia Arena, Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines.