28 May to 3 June 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like Indian digital payment system, Green Cricket Project, Prakriti Kheti Khushhaal Kisaan Yojana among others.
1. Which Indian digital payment system has been linked to Singapore’s NETS?
2. Which cricketing body has signed an agreement with UN Environment to promote ‘green' Cricket?
3. Who won the International Cricketer of the Year at the CEAT Cricket Ratings awards?
a) MS Dhoni
b) Virat Kohli
c) Shikhar Dhawan
d) Rashid Khan
4. Which state government launched the 'Prakriti Kheti Khushhaal Kisaan Yojana'?
a) Himachal Pradesh
5. How many countries will be participating in the 2018 Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) military exercise?
6. The first edition of Global Wind Summit will be held in which country?
7. Which company is the most valuable firm globally?
8. Which state government ordered the permanent closure of Sterlite Copper Plant?
d) Tamil Nadu
9. Which Indian cartoonist won the award in the best caricature category at the 2018 World Press Cartoon awards?
a) Satish Acharya
b) Thomas Antony
c) Pran Kumar Sharma
10. Who was appointed as the first Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Reserve Bank of India?
a) Narayan Murthy
b) Rajiv Agarwal
c) Parijaat Dua
d) Sudha Balakrishnan
11. Name the oldest Indian woman who scaled the Mount Everest.
a) Damini Luthra
b) Sangeeta Bahl
c) Neha Chadha
d) Anita Sharma
12. Which organisation recently tied-up with the National Commission for Women (NCW) to launch a Digital Literacy Programme?
b) Bill Gates Foundation
d) All of them
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) RuPay
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on May 31, 2018 launched three Indian digital payment systems - RuPay, BHIM app and UPI by SBI at the 'Business, Innovation and Community Event' in Singapore. With the launch, India's RuPay digital payments system was linked up with Singapore's 33-year old Network for Electronic Transfers (NETS).
2. (d) BCCI
The BCCI and United Nations Environment have signed an agreement to promote 'green cricket' in India. The partnership will focus on phasing out single-use plastic across stadiums in the country. Through the agreement, the BCCI will endeavor to reduce its environmental impact by greening operations and engaging cricketers and fans in green initiatives.
3. (b) Virat Kohli
Indian cricket team skipper Virat Kohli won the International Cricketer of the Year at the CEAT Cricket Ratings awards in Mumbai on May 28, 2018. Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan was presented the International Batsman of the Year Award, while New Zealand pace sensation Trent Boult won International Bowler of the Year Award.
4. (a) Himachal Pradesh
The Himachal Pradesh government recently launched the ‘Prakritik Kheti Khushhaal Kisaan Yojana’ (PKKKY) to promote organic farming. The government will undertake an integrated approach for promoting organic and zero budget natural farming system.
5. (d) 26
As many as 26 countries, including India, would participate in the biennial Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) military exercise from June 27 to August 2, in and around the Hawaiian Islands and Southern California.
6. (d) Germany
The first edition of the Global Wind Summit will be hosted by Germany from September 25-28, 2018 at Hamburg. The summit combines two conferences ‘WindEnergy Hamburg’ and ‘WindEurope’. WindEurope, in partnership with Wind Energy Hamburg, will host the Global Wind Summit 2018 in the Hamburg Messe.
7. (a) Apple
Technology giant Apple with a market capitalization of nearly $924 billion is the most valuable firm globally. Amazon is at a distant second, with nearly $783 billion. Microsoft recently surpassed Google’s parent company Alphabet for the first time in three years to become the third most valuable firm globally.
8. (d) Tamil Nadu
The Tamil Nadu government has ordered for the permanent closure of the controversial Sterlite Copper factory in Tuticorin, which was the centre of violent protests last week that led to the killing of 13 people and left around 100 wounded.
9. (b) Thomas Antony
Kerala cartoonist Thomas Antony won an international award in the best caricature category. He is among the 9 winners at the 13th edition of the World Press Cartoon awards 2018, instituted by an organization based in Lisbon, Portugal.
10. (d) Sudha Balakrishnan
Sudha Balakrishnan was appointed as the first Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Balakrishnan, a chartered accountant, was until recently a vice-president at the NSDL, India’s first and largest depository.
11. (b) Sangeeta Bahl
Sangeeta Bahl, at the age of 53, has become the oldest Indian woman to scale the Mount Everest. She scaled the peak on May 19, 2018, with the help of 2 Sherpas and was felicitated at the Indian embassy in Kathmandu.
12. (c) Facebook
Social networking giant Facebook on May 31, 2018 partnered with the National Commission for Women (NCW) to launch a Digital Literacy Programme. The Digital Literacy Programme will be launched in collaboration with the Cyber Peace Foundation (CPF).