30 October to 5 November 2017: JagranJosh weekly quizzes will help you revise for competitive exams at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences of the week. The quizzes in this week’s segment cover topics including Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana, India-US Ocean Dialogue and Gender Vulnerability Index 2017 among others.
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of which centrally sponsored scheme for states?
a) Gramin Bhandaran Yojana
b) Janani Suraksha Yojana
c) Antyodaya Anna Yojna
d) Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana
2. Which Indian cricketer became the sixth Indian and fastest to complete 9000 ODI runs during India’s third and final one-day international against New Zealand?
a) Virat Kohli
b) Rohit Sharma
c) Shikhar Dhawan
d) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
3. India began an intensive anti-submarine warfare exercise with which nation?
4. India has sent its first shipment of wheat to which nation through Iran’s Chabahar port?
5. Name the offshore patrol vessel (OPV), which is the first-ever defence vessel to be built in a private shipyard?
6. India would be celebrating the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations in 2018 with which nation?
7. Which Indian state hosted the India-US Ocean Dialogue?
8. According to a study led by an Indian-origin researcher, the outskirts of spiral galaxies like Milky Way could be rife with which cosmic component?
a) Dwarf Planets
b) Black Holes
c) Water carrying planets
d) Earth-like planets
9. Which state has banned sea fishing for the duration of 7 months to protect endangered sea turtles?
a) West Bengal
10. The Union Cabinet has approved agreement on cooperation in customs matters between India and which nation?
a) South Africa
11. Which state has increased the backward classes’ creamy layer ceiling?
a) Andhra Pradesh
b) Tamil Nadu
12. Which state has topped the Gender Vulnerability Index (GVI) that ranks states on the basis of situation of girls and women?
d) Himachal Pradesh
13. Which state signed MoU with Verbind- an integrated trade facilitation services organisation- to set up a logistics hub?
b) Tamil Nadu
d) Uttar Pradesh
14. Which country hosted the 21st World Congress of Mental Health?
15. The world’s highest motorable road has been built in which nation?
Answers with Explaination
1. (d) Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana
The Union Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the continuation of centrally sponsored scheme- Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) as Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana- Remunerative Approaches for Agriculture and Allied sector Rejuvenation (RKVY-RAFTAAR) for a period of three years, from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
2. (a) Virat Kohli
Indian skipper Virat Kohli on 29 October 2017 became the sixth Indian and fastest to complete 9000 ODI runs during India’s third and final one-day international against New Zealand in Kanpur. He got to the landmark in the 37th over.
3. (c) Japan
The naval forces of India and Japan initiated an intensive air anti-submarine warfare exercise in the Indian Ocean on 29 October 2017. The exercise will conclude on 31 October 2017. The exercise would witness participation from a P-8 I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Anti Submarine Warfare aircraft of Indian Navy and two P-3 Orion Anti Submarine Warfare aircraft of Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMDSF).
4. (d) Afghanistan
India on 29 October 2017 sent its first consignment of wheat to Afghanistan through Iran’s Chabahar port. The move has been seen as a landmark one to operationalise the new strategic transit route, bypassing Pakistan.
5. (b) Vikram
OPV Vikram, the first-ever defence vessel to be built in a private shipyard, was handed over by Larsen and Toubro (L&T) to the Indian Coast Guard. The vessel was indigenously developed in-house at L&T’s Kattupalli shipyard. Its entire design and construction processes have undergone dual certification from American Bureau of Shipping and Indian Registrar of Shipping.
6. (c) Italy
India would Italy would be celebrating the 70th anniversary of the establishment of their diplomatic relations in the year 2018. They signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the same after detailed high-level talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni.
7. (c) Goa
The inaugural India-US Ocean Dialogue began in Goa on 1 November 2017. The dialogue, aimed at promoting sustainable development of the Blue Economy, is being hosted by the Indian Ministry of External Affairs at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Institute of Oceanography (CSIR-NIO) in Goa.
8. (b) Black Holes
According to a study led by an Indian-origin researcher, the outskirts of spiral galaxies like Milky Way could be crowded with colliding black holes of massive proportions.The study points to a prime location for scientists hunting for the sources of gravitational waves. The findings will be published in the upcoming issue of the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
9. (b) Odisha
The state government of Odisha on 1 November 2017 imposed a seven-month ban on sea fishing activity in order to protect the Olive Ridley sea turtles. The move has been brought on, as the breeding season of the endangered marine animals is approaching. The ban will hold until 31 May 2018.
10. (c) Armenia
The Union Cabinet on 1 November 2017 gave its approval for signing and ratifying an agreement between India and Armenia on cooperation and mutual assistance in customs matters. The agreement will enable sharing of relevant information for the prevention and investigation of Customs offences.
11. (d) Telangana
The Telangana government has increased the annual income limit to determine the creamy layer of OBCs/BCs with respect to reservations in employment by Rs. 2 lakh. The present annual income limit of 6 lakh rupees has been increased to Rs 8 lakh.
12. (c) Goa
The Gender Vulnerability Index (GVI) prepared by Child development NGO Plan India has ranked the state of Goa at the top and Bihar at the bottom. The other two states to occupy the top positions include Kerala and Mizoram, which were ranked 2nd and 3rd respectively. Bihar was joined by Uttar Pradesh at the bottom, while Delhi was placed near bottom at the 24th place.
13. (c) Haryana
The state government Haryana on 2 November 2017 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with an integrated trade facilitation services organisation - Verbind - to set up a logistics and trading hub in the state.
14. (c) India
The 21st World Congress of Mental Health, organised by the World Federation for Mental Health in partnership with Caring Foundation and other institutions, was hosted by India in its capital city, New Delhi on 2 November 2017. It was inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind.
15. (d) India
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has constructed the world's highest motorable road in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, India, passing through Umlingla Top at a height of over 19,300 feet. The feat was achieved under 'Project Himank' of the organisation.