4 June to 10 June 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like India’s MMR, 49th Conference of Governors and RBI’s new guidelines among others.
1. Maternal Mortality Ratio has reduced by 22 per cent in which nation?
2. Which Indian public authority has launched its online RTI Portal?
a) National Green Tribunal
b) Indian Council of Agricultural Research
c) Airports Authority of India
d) Election Commission of India
3. India is going to receive the first-ever cargo of LNG from which nation?
4. Which nuclear-capable missile was successfully test-fired by India on June 3, 2018?
a) Agni 5
b) Agni 4
c) Shaurya 3
d) BrahMos 2
5. Who is the only Indian sportsperson to be featured in the list of world’s highest paid athletes compiled by Forbes?
a) Abhinav Bindra
b) PV Sindhu
c) Virat Kohli
d) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
6. Which city hosted the 49th Conference of Governors?
a) New Delhi
7. Maria Fernanda Espinosa was elected as President of the 73rd United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). She belongs to which country?
8. Which country was the global host nation for the 2018 World Environment Day?
c) South Korea
9. Which Indian beach became the Asia’s first beach to get the Blue Flag certification?
a) Auroville beach
b) Chandrabhaga beach
c) Palolem beach
d) Varkala Beach
10. The Supreme Court recently allowed Union government to implement the reservation in promotion policy for SC/ST employees under which article of the Constitution?
a) Article 19
b) Article 18
c) Article 17
d) Article 16
11. RBI has allowed which banks to become Small Finance Banks (SFB) under certain criteria?
a) NBFC Banks
b) State Co-operative Banks
c) Rural Co-operative Banks
d) Urban Co-operative Banks
12. Which ministry will set up a finance company to fund food processing sector?
a) Ministry of Food Processing
b) Ministry of Commerce
c) Ministry of Finance
d) Ministry of Home Affairs
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) India
India recorded 22 per cent reduction in Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) since 2013, as per the Sample Registration System (SRS) bulletin that was released by the Office of the Registrar General of India on June 6, 2018.
2. (d) Election Commission of India
The Election Commission of India has launched an online RTI Portal to help applicants seeking information under the Right to Information Act. The portal will facilitate an online reply to applications and also for making the first appeal.
3. (c) Russia
India will receive the first ever cargo of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Russia on June 4, 2018 as New Delhi diversifies import basket to meet its vast energy needs. The beginning of supplies from Russia comes within weeks of India importing its first ever LNG cargo from US under a long-term import deal.
4. (a) Agni 5
India on June 3, 2018 successfully test-fired indigenously developed nuclear-capable ballistic missile Agni-5 from the Integrated Test Range on Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island, previously known as Wheeler Island. This was the sixth trial of the state-of-the-art missile Agni-5, which covered its full distance during the test.
5. (c) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli is among the world's highest-paid athletes, according to a list compiled by Forbes. Kohli, the only sportsperson from India to be featured in the list, is ranked 83rd with earnings of USD 24 million. The list was topped by 41-year-old American boxing champion Floyd Mayweather, with USD 285 million earnings.
6. (a) New Delhi
The 49th Conference of Governors and Lieutenant Governors began on June 4 at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. The conference will involve discussions on important agendas including clean India mission, internal security, higher education and skill development.
7. (a) Ecuador
Ecuadorean foreign minister Maria Fernanda Espinosa was elected as President of the 73rd United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). Espinosa will become the fourth woman ever to hold the UNGA presidency and the first since 2006.
8. (a) India
India was the global host nation for the 2018 World Environment Day which was celebrated on June 5, 2018. Environment Ministers, representatives from United Nations and members from various industry bodies were among the various dignitaries who attended the event.
9. (b) Chandrabhaga beach
The Chandrabhaga beach on the Konark coast of Odisha became the Asia’s first beach to get the Blue Flag certification — the tag given to environment-friendly and clean beaches, equipped with amenities of international standards for tourists.
10. (d) Article 16
The Supreme Court has allowed the Union government to implement the reservation in promotion policy for SC/ST employees in accordance with the law but did not stay a Delhi High Court judgment that had quashed an August 1997 office memorandum issued by the Centre providing for reservation in promotions for Dalit and tribal employees.
11. (d) Urban Co-operative Banks
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on June 6, 2018 decided to allow voluntary transition of the Urban Co-Operative Banks (UCB) into Small Finance Banks (SFB), a move that is aimed at bringing UCBs into mainstream banking.
12. (a) Ministry of Food Processing
Food Processing Ministry will soon create the Agro-Processing Financial Institution which will exclusively fund food processing projects. The Agro-Processing Financial Institution will be a non-banking financial institution.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week