Jagranjosh.com brings for its readers quizzes of the week that covers important happenings of the week. The section revises selected quizzes along with their explanations from the week to help its readers in revising the most important happenings. The questions covered in this week include topics like Mumbai- Ahmedabad High Speed Railway Project, Indian films in Oscar’s race and FDI inflows into India among others.
1. Railway Ministry and National High Speed Rail Corporation entered into a tripartite agreement with this agency to develop Mumbai- Ahmedabad High Speed Railway Project.
a) New Development Bank
b) Asian Infrastructure and Investment Bank
c) Japan International Cooperation Agency
d) Asian Development Bank
2. Which of the following movies have made it to the long list of 336 feature films eligible for the Oscars?
a) MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
c) Both (a) and (b)
d) None of them
3. India received the maximum FDI inflows from which country in 2015-16?
4. Who was recently selected for the 2016 AIFF Woman Player of the Year award?
a) Uvena Fernandes
b) Yumnam Kamala Devi
c) Sasmita Malik
d) Manpreet Kaur
5. Which state government allotted land to NPCIL for setting up 6600 MW nuclear power project in Kovvada?
b) Andhra Pradesh
d) Tamil Nadu
6. Which north-eastern state has decided to opt for cashless payment in all its public transactions?
7. Who won the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016?
a) Steven Smith
b) Ravindra Jadeja
c) Ravichandran Ashwin
d) None of the above
8. Who of the following won the Sahitya Akademi Award 2016 for the Hindi language?
a) Nasira Sharma
b) Kamal Vora
c) Sitanath Acharya
d) Gita Upadhyay
9. For the first time in nearly 150 years, India's economy surpassed the economy of this country.
a) The United Kingdom
d) South Korea
10. Union Government announced Rs 207 crore for development of Majuli Island. The island is located in
a) Andhra Pradesh
11. Union Government notified Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2016 to replace the
a) Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2008
b) Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2009
c) Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2010
d) Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2011
12. This country became first in the world to legally approve the 3-parent technique.
a) The United Kingdom
13. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj memorial off the coast of this city.
14. Indian boxer Vijender Singh recently knocked out which of the following boxers to retain the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title?
a) Abasi Kyobe
b) Kerry Hope
c) Egy Rozten
d) Francis Cheka
15. Who has won the Miss World 2016 title?
a) Yaritza Reyes
b) Stephanie Del Valle
c) Catriona Elisa Gray
d) Evelyn Njambi
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) Japan International Cooperation Agency
Exp: Under the agreement, the Japan International Cooperation Agency will bear the cost of general consultancy up to 2020 and will contribute to the smooth implementation of the High Speed Railway Project.
2. (c) Both (a) and (b)
Exp: Indian biopics MS Dhoni: The Untold Story and Sarbjit have made it to the long list of 336 feature films eligible for the Oscars. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released the list of films in contention for the best picture Oscar.
3. (a) Singapore
Exp: India received the maximum Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows from Singapore in 2015-16 followed by Mauritius, the US, the Netherlands and Japan. India attracted USD 13.69 billion foreign direct investment from Singapore in that financial year.
4. (c) Sasmita Malik
Exp: Sasmita Malik was chosen for the 2016 AIFF Woman Footballer of the Year. She will be bestowed with a prize of Rs. 2 lakh along with a trophy.
5. (b) Andhra Pradesh
Exp: The 6600 MW nuclear power plant will be set up at Kovvada in Ranasthalam block of the coastal district of Srikakulam in Andhra Pradesh. The project will be executed by the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) at an estimated cost of Rs 60000 crore.
6. (a) Tripura
Des: The government of Tripura has decided to adopt for cashless payment in all public transactions, starting from 1 January 2017. The government has already initiated the process of opening bank accounts including issuing RuPay cards to people who do not have any bank accounts.
7. (c) Ravichandran Ashwin
Exp: Ravichandran Ashwin on 22 December 2016 won the coveted Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy. Ashwin was also adjudged the International Cricket Council (ICC) Test Cricketer of the Year. With this, he became the second Indian player after Rahul Dravid to bag the two prestigious prizes in the same year.
8. (a) Nasira Sharma
Exp: Sahitya Akademi on 21 December 2016 announced the Sahitya Akademi Awards for the year 2016 in 24 languages. Eight books of poetry, seven books of short stories, five books of novel, two books of criticism, one book of essays and a book of play have won the prestigious awards for the year. Nasira Sharma won the Award for her novel titled ‘Paarijat.’
9. (a) The United Kingdom
Exp: Owing to Britain's recent Brexit-related problems and thanks to India's rapid economic growth, India has managed to overtake its erstwhile colonial master United Kingdom in terms of the size of the economy - the first time after nearly 150 years.
10. Answer: (c) Assam
Exp: Exp: It is a fluvial landform (a riverine delta), a unique geographical occurrence and a result of the dynamics of the Brahmaputra river system. It is bounded by the river Subanisri and her tributaries on the North West, the kherkatia Suli in the northeast and the main Brahmaputra River on the South and the South west.
11. (c) Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2010
Exp: These Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2016 replace the Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2010 and seek to address the issues related to the conservation and development of wetlands in a comprehensive manner.
12. (a) The United Kingdom
Exp: A 3-parent baby contains Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) from three parents. This technique allows parents with rare genetic mutations to have healthy babies by replacing a mother's faulty mitochondrial DNA (mDNA) with another woman's mDNA.
13. Answer: (b) Mumbai
Exp: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24 December 2016 laid the foundation stone for the Rs. 3,600 crore grand memorial of Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on board a hovercraft in the Arabian Sea off Mumbai coast.
14. (d) Francis Cheka
Exp: India's Vijender Singh on 17 December 2016 knocked out Tanzania's Francis Cheka at the Thyagaraj Stadium, New Delhi, to defend his WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title. Singh took less than 10 minutes to knock Cheka out in the third round itself to retain the title.
15. (b) Stephanie Del Valle
Des: Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle was crowned Miss World 2016 at the 66th edition of the event held at MGM National Harbor, Maryland in the United States of America on 18 December 2016.