Wesley So on 29 January 2017 won the 2017 Tata Steel Chess Tournament at Manila, Philippines.
So defeated Ian Nepomniatchi of Russia in the 13th and final round to grab the tournament.
It is the third straight tournament victory for So, after winning the Sinquefield Cup and London Chess Classic.
About Wesley So
• Wesley So is a Filipino-American chess grandmaster.
• He represents the United States.
• He became the youngest player to pass 2600 Elo rating in October 2008. With this, he broke the record held by Magnus Carlsen.
• He passed 2700 rating in 2013 and in February 2015 he entered the World top 10 after tying for second place at the 2015 Tata Steel Chess Tournament.
• In January 2017, he became the 11th player to pass the 2800 rating barrier, with a rating of 2808.
About Tata Steel Chess Tournament
• The Tata Steel Chess Tournament takes place every year, usually in January, in a town called Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands.
• It was formerly called the Corus chess tournament.
• Until 1999, it was called the Hoogovens tournament. Later, the Dutch sponsor Koninklijke Hoogovens merged with British Steel plc to form the Corus Group, which became Tata Steel Europe in 2007.
• Viswanathan Anand and Magnus Carlsen are the only players to have won five titles of the Hoogovens/Corus/Tata Steel chess tournament.