Third Thursday of November: World Philosophy Day
The World Philosophy Day was observed globally on 17 November 2016. This year, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) organised the special events from 16 November to 18 November.
The Day is celebrated on every third Thursday of November. This year, the Day was celebrated in line with the International Day for Tolerance (16 November). Here is the list of events conducted during 3-day celebrations:15th International Encounters on New Philosophical Practices (16-17 November)
- Roundtable Conference on Tolerance (17 November)
- Inauguration of UNESCO Chair on the Practice of Philosophy with Children (18 November)
- Roundtable Conference on Teaching Aristotle (18 November)
- A Night of Philosophy (18-19 November)
- The World Philosophy Day was introduced in 2002 by UNESCO to encourage the world to share their philosophical heritage and open their minds to new ideas.
- In 2005, the UNESCO General Conference decided to celebrate World Philosophy Day on every third Thursday of November.
- The day is organized by UNESCO’s Management of Social Transformations (MOST) Programme.