21 March-World Poetry Day
World Poetry Day was observed across the world on 21 March 2014. The day was observed to support linguistic diversity through poetic expression and to offer endangered languages the opportunity to be heard within their communities.
About World Poetry Day
The decision to observe 21 March as World Poetry Day was adopted at the 30th session of UNESCO held in Paris in 1999.
The main objectives of the Day is
• to support linguistic diversity through poetic expression;
• to offer endangered languages the opportunity to be heard within their communities;
• to encourage a return to the oral tradition of poetry recitals;
• to restore a dialogue between poetry and the other arts such as theatre, dance, music and painting; and
• to support small publishers and create an attractive image of poetry in the media