World this Week section brings the important current affairs of the week covering only the important headlines of the current events that happened in the world in the week of 23 December 2013 to 30 December 2013. The section developed with an aim to help the students in getting themselves update with the latest happening in World in an easier manner. The section will aid the students in effectively revising the current affairs just prior to giving an exam.
• India evacuates all its employees from the strife torn South Sudan.
• Mikhail Kalashnikov, who invented the AK47 machine gun, dies due to ill-health in Izhevsk, Udmurtia province of Russian Republic. He was 94.
24 December 2013
• Director Generals Military Operations (DGMO) of India and Pakistan meet along the Wagah-Attari border to work out a mechanism to ease tension between the two sides and to ensure peace at the Line of Control (LoC).
• Hisham Qandil, the former Prime Minister of Egypt was arrested by Egyptian police.
25 December 2013
• Egypt’s ruling Government declared the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist group.
• Cricketer Jacques Kallis, the South African all-rounder, announces his retirement from test and first class cricket after the second Test against India in Durban.
26 December 2013
• Japan approves the relocation of the US military airbase Futenma on its southern island of Okinawa.
• Serena Williams won the Female Athlete of the Year award and LeBron James won the Male Athlete of the Year award of the Associated Press.
27 December 2013
• China opens its home grown BeiDou Navigation System for Asian countries for free.
• The US President Barack Obama signs a two year bipartisan federal budget bill to avert the risk of shutdown of the Government in January 2014.
• United Nations orders to cut staff and budget under the pressure from United States and other austerity-stricken industrialized powers.
28 December 2013
• The Chinese government adopts a resolution that eases the one child policy of the country.
• Roger Federer announces that Stefan Edberg, the former Swedish tennis player, will join his coaching team in 2014.
29 December 2013
• 32 peoples were killed when a bus fell down in a 50 meter deep ravine in Phetachbun in Thailand.
• Bomb Blast rocks Russian City of Volgograd ahead of Winter Olympic Games killing 18 persons.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.