World this Week section presents the important current affairs of the week 30 December 2013 to 5 January 2014. The section will help the candidates in keeping themselves updated with the current events in World in an easier manner. The section provides the important events of the week in one to two lines with the objective to aid the students in effectively revising the current affairs just prior to giving an exam.
30 December 2013
• Chinese Government banned its officials from smoking in public places.
• Indonesian Government announced to build a new sanctuary to save World’s rarest Javan rhinos. The new sanctuary will be carved out of the Ujung Kulon National Park.
• Ashraf Jehan becomes the first female judge to be sworn-in at Pakistan’s national sharia court which hears cases under the Islamic legislation.
31 December 2013
• Danielle Steel, the US Author, awarded France’s highest honour, the Legion of Honor.
1 January 2014
• The Health Ministry of Japan estimated that a quarter of the population is currently aged over 65 and the figure is expected to reach nearly 40 percent by 2060.
• India decided to send a team of senior officials to assess the political and security situation in South Sudan.
2 January 2014
• Latvia became the 18th member of the Euro zone.
• Pakistan announced its plan to set up seven functional nuclear plants of 1100 MW each by 2030.
• India and Saudi Arabia signed an agreement to protect the interests and rights of Indian domestic sector workers in the Gulf Kingdom.
• India and Maldives signed 3 Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) in the field of Health, Exchange of Personnel and Human resource.
3 January 2014
• India announced a new rule to vaccinate against polio to the travellers from Pakistan would be implemented from 14 February 2014.
4 January 2014
• India has asked the US Embassy not to screen any movies at the American Center without obtaining a licence. The Embassy has been given a deadline to comply with the Government of India laws and Delhi Government regulations till 20 January 2014.
5 January 2014
• United States Embassy in Beirut issued a warning for Americans in Lebanon to avoid hotels, western-style shopping malls, grocery stores and social events.
• Tropical storm One struck the east coast north of Trincomalee, Sri Lanka.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.