27 September: World Tourism Day
World Tourism Day 2016 was observed across the world on 27 September 2016. The theme of the World Tourism Day 2016 is Tourism for All - promoting universal accessibility.
The theme for the year promotes accessible tourism for all to create environments that can cater for the needs of all of us, whether we are travelling or staying at home.
The official World Tourism Day 2016 celebrations will be held in Bangkok, Thailand.
Current developments and forecasts
• International tourist arrivals grew by 4.6 % in 2015 to 1184 million.
• In 2015, international tourism generated 1.5 trillion US dollar in export earnings.
• UNWTO forecasts a growth in international tourist arrivals of between 3.5% and 4.5% in 2016.
• By 2030, UNWTO forecasts international tourist arrivals to reach 1.8 billion (UNWTO Tourism Towards 2030).
• World Tourism Day is held annually on 27 September with purpose to foster awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
• The first World Tourism Day was celebrated in 1980 after decision made by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) General Assembly in 1979.
• The event seeks to address global challenges outlined in the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and to highlight the contribution that the tourism sector can make in reaching these goals.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 27 September 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.