World Tourism Day observed with theme One Billion Tourists, One Billion Opportunities
The theme wants you to talk Tourism and help to raise awareness of its impact on countries and communities around the world.
27 September: World Tourism Day
World Tourism Day was observed across the world on 27 September 2015. The theme of the World Tourism Day 2015 is One Billion Tourists, One Billion Opportunities.
The theme wants you to talk Tourism and help to raise awareness of its impact on countries and communities around the world. It talks about its potential as a force for good and creating a better world for all.
Burkina Faso will host the Official Celebration 2015.
Current developments and forecasts
• International tourist arrivals grew by 4.3 percent in 2014 to 1.133 billion.
• In 2014, international tourism generated 1.5 trillion US dollars in export earnings.
• UNWTO forecasts a growth in international tourist arrivals of between 3 percent and 4 percent in 2015.
• World Tourism Day is held annually on 27 September with purpose to foster awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
• The first World Tourism Day was celebrated in 1980 after decision made by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) General Assembly in 1979.
• The event seeks to address global challenges outlined in the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and to highlight the contribution that the tourism sector can make in reaching these goals.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App