The world’s first driverless bus service began carrying passengers in the first week of September 2016 in Lyon, France.
Two electric minibuses with a capacity of 15 passengers each are now operating a 10-minute route with five stops in the city centre at an average speed of 10 Kilometres per hour.
Key highlights of driverless bus
• The buses include features like LiDAR radar technology and motion sensors to help it avoid collisions.
• They’re equipped with a range of detectors that allow them to know exactly where they are.
• It can hold up to 15 passengers.
• The bus is designed by French company Navya.
• The electric buses were tested in several French cites and in Switzerland before coming to Lyon.
• They are also set to undergo trials in Dubai.
What is LiDAR technology?
• LiDAR is a surveying technology that measures distance by illuminating a target with a laser light.
• It is sometimes considered an acronym of Light Detection and Ranging.
• However, it was originally created as a portmanteau of light and radar.
• It is popularly used as a technology to make high-resolution maps, with applications in geodesy, geomatics, archaeology, geography, geology, etc.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App