Xavi Hernandez, the Spanish midfielder on 5 August 2014 announced his retirement from International football. The 34-year-old footballer represented his country for a record 133 times and helped the team to win some major events like
• European Championships 2008 and 2012
• 2010 World Cup in South Africa (first time win by the team in their history) against Netherlands 0-1 Spain
Xavi was a member of the Spain squad that failed to get past the first round at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after facing a defeat in group stages (5-1 defeat by Netherlands and a 2-0 loss to Chile).
• He made his international debut on 15 November 2000 against the Netherlands, the year when Spain won an Olympic silver medal in Australia. He was the part of the squad
• In 2008, he was named as the player of the tournament when Spain won the European Championship in Austria and Switzerland. This was the first international success of the team after 1964
• He also plays as a midfielder for football club Barcelona
When: 5 August 2014