Eminent litterateur Yeshe Dorje Thongchi was on 15 June 2017 chosen for the Bhupen Hazarika Award 2017.
The award will be conferred on Thongchi at a function to be held in Jammu and Kashmir in September 2017 by Pune-based social organization Sarhad.
About Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi
• Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi belongs to the West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh.
• He graduated from Cotton College, Guwahati and did his MA from Guwahati University.
• Although his dialect was Sherdukpen, however, he started writing in Assamese.
• His first poem called Jonbaai (The Moon) appeared in an Assamese children’s magazine by the same name in 1967.
• His well-known novels are Mauna Oonth Mukhar Hriday and Sav Kata Manuh.
• His novel Mauna Onth Mukhar Hriday won the Sahitya Akademi award in 2005.
• He joined the Arunachal Pradesh Civil Service in 1977 and was elevated to the IAS in 1992.
• He is the Founder and President of Arunachal Pradesh Literary Society.
About Bhupen Hazarika Award
• The award was instituted by Sarhad, a Maharashtra-based organisation, in 2012.
• The award honours an outstanding literary work at national and international level.
• It consists of cash prize of Rs 51000, a memento and a certificate.
• The award aims at creating a strong bond between Maharashtra and the North East.
• The other recipients of the award include well-known director Jahnu Barua, renowned actor Professor Ratan Thiyam, journalist Samudra Gupta Kashyap and musician and singer Lou Majaw from Meghalaya.
When: 15 June 2017