10 Unknown traditions of the Modern India
India is a land of world's oldest and urban civilization i.e. Indus Valley Civilization. Hence, from ancient to modern India, Indian Society transform and synthesises various cults, customs, rituals and sects. Many of these cults and customs have had religious and social basis. These cults and customs are spread in different regions and religions. Here, we are giving 10 unknown traditions of Modern India.
10 unknown traditions of Modern India
1. There is a gypsy tribe in India that celebrates death as one of the happiest events in their lives, while treating births as sorrow.
2. Malana is an ancient Indian village in the state of Himachal Pradesh. They consider themselves to be descendants of Alexander the Great and their local court system according to the ancient Greek system.
3. In India, many brides use the "Bichiya": a wedding ring for the toe. There is a belief that the wearing of toe rings press on certain nerves that pertain to the reproductive system, keeping it in balance and healthy.
4. In India, Snakes are worshipped as gods, even today. Many women pour milk on snakes, despite snakes' aversion for it.
5. In some remote Indian villages, babies are dropped from the tops of temples and caught by adults below to bring good health for children.
6. The ancient devadasi system, where young girls are dedicated in local temples and their virginity is auctioned off, was made illegal in Karnataka in 1982 but still continues in some parts of the southern state.
7. Since 2004, a polling station is set up in a forest for a lone voter in every election in India.
8. In India, before going for a long travel, people put lemons under the wheels of vehicles. They believe that it would save them from perils. They also break coconut and light incense stick in front of the vehicle for the same purpose.
9. The Aghori Sadhus in India (especially of Banaras) eats human remains after cremation and has intercourse with corpses because they believe in renouncing the world by finding ' purity in the filthiest’.
10. Some of the villages in India believe that animal wedding will appease the rain God. For example- Frog wedding in Assam and Maharashtra, while donkey wedding of Karnataka.
In the above 10 unknown traditions of Modern India states not only by product of cults, but also the basis of religion in India.